From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Dec 1996 21:16:33 -0500
>From:    Mat Buehler <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret for sale in Weymouth, MA
>Anyone looking for a ferret in Southern Mass, there is one for sale for $80
>at Building 19 in the Harborlight Mall.  I didn't even know Building 19 had
>pets, but apparently they do.

I'm not sure where Harborlight mall is, but I was in the Bldg 19 store on
route 228 near Weymouth/Hingham and they had two in there.  The lady in
charge of the pet supplies hardly knew what a ferret was.  I talked to her
about us, told her about the legalization effort and gave her some tips on
caring for ferrets.  Also left a couple of flyers (all I had), and several
MAFF cards.  She said that she definitely planned to ask her boss to get
some Debra Jeanne's books.

The ferrets (I saw two about a week and a half ago) looked like they were
healthy and happy, though certainly a good home was to be preferred.  It is
a conflict though.  On the one hand we want people to know about ferrets,
while on the other we don't want them to be TOO available.  Kind of a fuzzy
line at times.

I try to approach the issue with the expectation that everyone means well,
and will do the right thing if it can be shown to them in a non threatening
manner.  Case in point, we were able to get a pet shop owner a while back to
move his ferrets out of the front window where they were in direct sunlight,
by simply saying that they were really sensitive to heat, and that he would
have a lot of dead ferts if he did that on a hot day.  Next day, they were
all moved to a much more comfortable location.

        - Bill Williamson