From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 13:36:15 -0400
BIG is right - raisins are full of natural sugars, as are all fruits - which
is why fruits and raisins are not really good treats for ferrets!  Not only
do excessive amounts cause diarrhea, but they aren't good for the teeth
either.

If you really must give fruits as a treat, no more than 1 raisin per day, or
a small piece (1 cm square) of fruit per day, and no more than 2-3
times/week.

A better treat is a dish of meat baby food (my ferrets prefer Beechnut- no
added onion powder, etc) or some AD (Hills - available at any vet).  I
pulverize some Totally Ferret, mix it with baby food or AD, and my ferrets
think it's the cat's pajamas!

Another good idea for a treat is some Laxatone (or petromalt) - I use this
for nail clipping also - it works just as well as Linatone/Ferretone, and
with coat-changing season coming along right now, Laxatone is helpful in
preventing hairballs.

Just because ferrets like raisins (as well as other fruits) doesn't mean
it's good for them.  Like a lister mentioned the other day - just because
a Big Mac and fries are good, doesn't mean they're good for you.....

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY