From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 01:47:21 -0000
Eric and I remodelled cages this weekend.  This involved replacing two doors
that had been removed when a previous owner had attached two cages to each
other, plus cutting access doors into the top of two stupidly-designed
Shaeffer cages which have high upper shelves *over* the front door where it
takes a contortionist to reach them.  I've been mulling over the best way to
make cage doors for months, and two days ago I had a brainstorm ... cake
cooling racks!  A couple rings of wire for hinges and voila!  Strong,
smoothly finished, and not ugly.  Our two rectangular racks fit the original
doorways beautifully.  We used two smaller square ones for the top access
doors we cut in the other cages.  Hooked springs like the ones that hold the
bottoms on some cages make good door fasteners, as do plain old cage clips.

Now I have to buy new racks so I can bake my mother's birthday cake on
Wednesday!