From:
Donna Micari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:05:27 -0400
I am responding to a post from July 14 regarding the use of Advantage and
Program in ferrets.  At the start of the summer season I asked my vet about
this, and he said that it wasn't approved for use in ferrets, and should
only be considered if fleas were a major problem.  Still, the issue was
lingering in my mind.  Perhaps because my first ferret, Ferret-Face (stupid
name, I know, but I was only ten, and it was the best I could come up with),
who I had about 15 years ago did have a major flea infestation, but these
products were not available back then.  The two ferrets I have now (I'm only
on my second and third) do not have a flea problem (I have never seen any
fleas on them), but I do take them out a lot, so it is a risk.  I remember
how hard it was to get rid of the fleas Ferret-Face had, and I thought an
ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

So, the other day I asked another exotic vet about it, and got basically the
same answer.  He also added that we could use a kitten dose for larger
ferrets, and half the kitten dose for smaller ferrets.  Then he added that I
would have to watch them carefully for signs of toxicosis, such as foaming
and pawing at the mouth.  Well, the thought of my babies foaming and pawing
at the mouth made me very upset, so I decided not to risk it, especially
since they don't have fleas anyway.  However, I could see how fleas would
become a problem for people who have shelters or just a lot of ferrets.

By the way, the topical solution Frontline (fipronil) and Advantage
(imidacloprid), and the oral tablet Program (lufenuron) are all only
available through prescriptions from licensed veterinarians.  There are
several over-the-counter products packaged to mimic Frontline and Advantage,
but they are not the same, and I have heard of cases of toxicosis resulting
from their use.  (I work at a vet magazine).  So, I guess the bottom line is
to consult with a knowledgeable vet before using any of these products.

Donna,
Jethro (But can I still play in the dirt?)
and EllieMae (I don't want fleas!)

[Moderator's note: Actually, except for vaccines, there are NO drugs
approved for ferrets.  According to many vets who have commented on and off
the list, as well as many many people on this list, Frontline, Advantage
and Program all appear to work well and are safe for use in ferrets.  I'd
encourage people to talk to their vets about it.  BIG]