From:
Christine Haas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 10:29:09 CST
Hi all,

I'm wondering if you can help me determine if Bailey is deaf...

Perhaps that would explain his bizarre behavior and relative
unresponsiveness...

Bailey Nutmeg is 10 months old.  He is a dark eyed white with
silver tips.  He is a very noisy ferret.  He is also *very*
skiddish.  He seems to always be "on the watch".  He sleeps with
his head sticking out from under a piece of furniture, eyes open.
If you touch him, he runs for cover.  If you walk heavily, he runs
for cover.  He doesn't respond to shaking the raisin container at
all, I thought for a while he was just really dumb...  I'd shake
and shake the container right by his head, no response.  I thought
he just wasn't learning the association, now I believe he's deaf.
It wasn't always that obvious, because if he's awake and another
ferret runs, he's right on their tail.  So, he always seems to be
right where the action is - but that's because everyone else is
there.  Take them away, and he can only follow his sense of smell.

Does this sound familiar?  Maybe he truely is a slow learner.
I've tried just about every test I know, any other ideas?

Your input is greatly appreciated... :@)

Chris.
& Scooter, Nina, Tavi Bear, & Bailey Nutmeg