From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 1995 03:13:29 -0700
To Becki Kain:
>for our third adrenal surgery of the year (Josephus and Escher, and now
>Tieke), Tieke seems to have thrown the good Dr. Schiff for a curve.  He
>had, what I would think, were classic adrenal tumor symptoms - total loss
>of hair on the tail and thinning hair on the back growing up from the
>tail.  well, Dr.  Schiff found nothing wrong with his adrenals or his
>pancreas.

    Remember, Becki, that Dr.  Schiff is only looking grossly at the
adrenals.  If they are both enlarged, or if the lesion is not large enough
to come through the capsule or cause overall enlargement of the adrenal, it
won't be picked up by routine visual inspection.

    Only sectioning the adrenal and looking at it under a microscope will
find these small adrenal lesions....

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR