From:
Marion Houle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:44:24 +0000
>From:    Dani Lucking <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: cool Southern ferrets
>I just find it interesting that so many posts every year on keeping
>ferrets cool in summer.  I am a Southerner and to many people who
>stereotype, I must be a backwards hillbilly with a family tree that doesn't
>fork, but I HAVE AIRCONDITIONING!!!It is hard to imagine that there are so
>many places that consider air conditioning some wierd extra expense.

Dani, I agree with you.  I live in Ontario, Canada and there are some days
it is just too hot.  When I got my first two ferrets (november 1996) I was
OK for the winter.  But, as it started to get warmer (May, June) I was
wondering about the little ferts.  I spoke to the vet and found out that
the heat and humidity can be deadly.  So, I went out and bought an
air-conditioner.

Deba, I don't think you read Dani's post in the same light I did.  I live
in Canada (the North) and I found it pretty funny.  I am a single person,
living alone, in a two bedroom apartment with 5 ferts and two cats.  When I
found out that the fuzzies could die from heat, the EASIEST solution for me
was to buy and A/C.  This way I would not have to worry about them all day
while I was at work.  You mentioned that there are four of you that are
handicapped in your house.  Is someone home all day to watch the ferts?  Be
able to help them lower their body heat if it gets too hot in the afternoon?
If yes, then you are fortunate (and I don't mean because you are handicapped
and get to stay home!).  I am at work all day and I have classes at
University two nights a week.  I would rather be able to go to work knowing
that the A/C is on and my fuzzies and cats are comfortable in my house.  I
would not want to be worrying that the ice melted and the ferts are too hot,
and I don't know it.

A/C in a car - a wonderful feature, but I don't have a car either.  However,
when I travel with my ferrets in someone else's car :-)  I make sure they
either have the A/C on or the windows are opened and I have plenty of water
available.  I also carry a spray bottle to squirt them with just in case.
My ferrets don't travel for long periods in a car.  The vet is about 10
minutes away and the PETSMART is about 15, so I don't really have to worry
too too much about long distance travelling.

This is the first time in the year that I have been reading the FML that I
have posted something in response to a flame.  I guess I will probably
regret it.

Take care of those fuzzies.

marion