From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 20:19:49 -0800
I'm not in the medical profession, so am not quoting published facts, but
as a hypoglycemic I've experienced how carbohydrates operate in my body,
and how much more quickly rice converts to carbohydrate than does corn.

A meal heavy in rice will give a hypoglycemic the 'sugar shakes' in about
half an hour.  That's about the same rate of speed an overload of basic
sugar will cause our blood sugar to plummet.

Someone asked if the goal of managing low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) wasn't
to elevate it.  No, it's not.  However, that thinking was practiced by
the medical profession at one time.  Doctors actually told hypoglycemic
patients to snack on sweets to keep their blood sugar up.  The result was
that for every elevation a plummet followed.  The shaky feeling occurs when
a plummet spirals out of control, leaving you feeling like the elevator
just dropped 3 floors.

Sugar is not a hypoglycemic's friend, regardless of their species.  Your
ferrets can live without sugary treats.  They may not live long with them.
Someone once asked what one of my ferrets was begging for.  Begging?  Gee,
a pat on the head maybe?  Picked up?

Georgia - the left coast one...