From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 01:21:39 -0400
Hello FML - With regard to recent discussion, tips, etc.  on protecting
ferrets and other pets in the event of a fire...all good...except for the
eventuality of a fire when no one is home and ferrets are caged.  You see,
we did have a fire when no one was at home.  The ferrets were loose in one
room.  Had they been confined to cages in that room or cages elsewhere in
the house, they would have died.  However, all of the ferrets survived the
fire and extensive smoke Because They Were Not Caged and had the good sense
to stay down low on the floor.

And here is the reality of the situation.  The fire was noted by some people
out on a walk who saw smoke billowing from several windows left partially
open and saw flames.  The fire department was called.  Several trucks and
many firemen responded.  The windows which had signs locating animals inside
were promptly smashed for access as were a couple of doors.  The firemen
were concerned about rapid access, putting out the fire, getting the smoke
out and locating any people who might be in the house.  Not one fireman
looked for animals.  When I arrived totally frantic about the ferrets (I
could have cared less about the house at that point) some of the firemen
helped me look through the debris for ferrets.  I did not expect to find any
had survived when I surveyed the fire, smoke, water and fire axed damage.

However, one by one, all of the ferrets were found.  None suffered burns,
thank God.  All of the ferrets had "gone to ground" to avoid the smoke and
thus survived.  All, except for The Princess Tiger Lilly, who came out from
hiding to tag after a fireman manning a hose, were in places relatively free
of smoke, at floor level and under things.  The firemen were impressed by
their good sense.  Most of the ferrets were doing some coughing and were
checked by a vet.  Except for mild pulminary edema in some (secondary to
smoke inhalation), all were in excellent shape.  All were fine within a few
days.  We were very lucky.  And it was noted at the time by the Fire Chief
that if the ferrets had been up in the cages, they would have been trapped.

Fire is a very real danger for any family and pets, and can happen at any
time and from a variety of causes.  Ours was caused by an old lamp which was
tipped over.  It was later found to have defective wiring.  I collect
Tiffany/Tiffany style lamps and all old ones were re-wired, with the
exception of one Tiffany with original wiring in good shape.  However - that
lamp recently gave a shock and so it has been re-wired as well.  I am told
that many fires start this way.  A neighbor had a fire when their teenager
left the curling iron on.  Any appliance left on might cause a fire.

Whether you leave your ferrets in cages or loose but confined to safe living
space, I feel, is an individual decision.  However, before you leave your
house -- double check to make sure any thing that might cause a fire is
turned off or out.  Don't learn the hard way.  I never considered lamps a
fire hazard -- I do now.

Cheers, Meg

[Moderator's note: Not taking a stance on the issue (though I should say
mine have ruin, err... run, of the house) but I also recall the ferret who
nipped the sleeping humans to alert them to a fire.  Smart little critters
(though maybe it was just to beg humans to toast some marshmallows).  BIG]