From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 09:55:21 -0400
Hey, everyone gets aches from age, too, Deb!  As someone who has had some
illness related ones (including entrapped nerves, and a past entrapped
ovary over some years) I can tell you that as long as there is pleasure in
life it's not something to surrender lightly or "just in case"; to top that
off ferrets REALLY know how to find every bit of joy life has -- guess
that's the most essential "ferreting out" -- so for them I assume this is
also true.  I've seen ferrets with advanced illnesses playing more than
many humans have in decades!  No one can make their days glisten like a
ferret.  When they are ready to go they give up, but to give up FOR THEM is
not something Steve or I can do.  Sure, it costs.  So what?  Love doesn't
exactly have a price tag attached, and the quality of life can NOT be
determined by superficial things but by the pleasure still derived.  There
is one other thing you missed -- the medical care might bring short term
pain, or brief daily annoyance for meds, but often it is EXACTLY that which
either SAVES the ferret or makes it's life so comfortable that it DOES get
a very long time of much more joy.

Sukie (who used to be much more afraid of pain than now, and if I can learn
the lesson then anyone can since I'm no great shakes)