Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 22:16:52 -0500
Dear Joanne, Thank you for the very timely post about Sox and Bandit to
the FML.  I have had ferrets for many years now, encountering innumerable
illnesses, diseases and problems.  In all this time, though, I've
thankfully never had a blockage.  I watch one of my guys, Merlin, like a
hawk, as he will chew on anything to be found.  The others, I certainly
keep tabs on, but don't really worry about.  Well, Fred, who's five now,
had adrenal surgery a few months ago and bounced back very nicely.  This
fall showed an amazing coat, his best yet.  This last week though, he's
been in a funk.  I thought it was due to age and Merlin's temporary
separation from the group, due to adrenal surgery.  After Merlin came
back, though, Fred didn't get any better.  So, for a week and half now,
Fred had been cuddlier than ever, eating and drinking fine, not vomiting,
pooping normally but just not playing.  I've been watching closely, but
no specific signs.  Thank you so much!!!  Because of your post, I decided
to dig around in Fred's belly.  Low and behold, he's definately got a
mass in there.

Oh boy, I hope everything's fine until Friday.  I live in a rural area
and emergency vets are hard to come by.  I've just given him a load of
Ferretone, though in years past, the helpfulness of that to move along a
mass has been shot down.  Perhaps some mineral oil...I'll be searching
the archives to see if that is safe for ferrets.  Perhaps you know?

Well, I just had to thank you for posting.  Especially since I'm leaving
for Germany next Thursday and would have been leaving them in my
friend/pet-sitter's care.  They're a great couple, but wouldn't trust
them to catch signs that I barely saw!!  I'll have him to the vet Friday,
and will leave him with them while I'm gone.  They've boarded my troop
many times.  Once more can't hurt.  Again....thank you, thank you, thank
you.  [Also, I'm sending this to the FML so others will know, even good
ferret mommies miss things and could use a push.  (Shame on me!!)]

Sincerely, Jaclyn Vanderhoef from Indianawi th the four weezits -- Fred,
Bomber, Merlin and Amelia