From:
"Charles Weiss D.V.M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 23:47:42 -0500
Reply to Edwards question:
>Fili has lost weight and hair and is very anemic

There are several conditions which could cause these symptoms.  One
possibility is an incomplete spay.  If one of the overies were not completely
removed it could be releasing an excess amount of estrogen which can suppress
the bone marrow's production of platelets.  This would predispose her to
bleeding which would cause her to become anemic.  If this were the problem
she would most likely have an enlarged vulva and a very low platelet count.
 This is not a common problem in the spayed female.  Fili may have two
separate conditions causing the hair loss and anemia or it could be one
process causing both symptoms.  Some diseases causing anemia in ferrets
include bleeding problems (G.I. ulcers, trauma, rat poison ) or decrased
production of red blood cells (bone marrow suppresion, bone marrow cancer,
any chronic disease).
Some diseases causing hair loss or thinning include adrenal tomors (by far
most common), Skin tumor (mast cell tumor- localized hair loss), skin
parasites.
A combiation of the physical exam and bloodwork results can help you narrow
down the possible causes, but in some cases we have to consider an
exploratory surgery to get a diagnosis and treatment.
I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions fell free to call me
or E mail me directly.

Charles Weiss D.V.M.
c [log in to unmask]
(301) 299-4142