From:
Sarah O'Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 12:29:46 -0500
I found Bob's post on food preferences and the impact of olfactory memory on
them very interesting.  It helps to explain why my two ferrets, both of whom
joined me as adults, have such radically different taste in treats.

    Fuzz, a small light sable male who came to live with me at 1 1/2 and is
now 4, has a serious sweet tooth.  He loves Pepsi, ice cream, jelly beans,
candy corn, and gummy bears, so I have to seriously watch him to prevent
tooth decay.  He will eat raisins, banana, and Cheerios, but doesn't have
the same enthusiasm for these healthier treats.

    Mario, on the other hand, a large sable mitt who joined our little
family four months ago and is now 2, eschews sweeter treats but loves
pretzels, tortilla chips, Nilla wafers, and bread.  The strange thing about
him is that he has absolutely no interest in Linatone, which Fuzz and every
other ferret I have ever met or heard of would dance the jitterbug to get.
He'll sniff it when Fuzz gets his, but doesn't even taste it.  I once
painted his nose with it so he'd have to lick it off, but he didn't seem to
care.

    My question: what's the strangest thing your ferrets think is ambrosia?
I'd love to hear.  Also: my boys eat a mix of Meow Mix and Marshall Farms
ferret food, but they always pick the Meow Mix out to eat first, and won't
eat the Marshall Farms until it's the only stuff left.  Any suggestions as
to how to boost their protein without offending their delicate palates?