From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 03:15:42 -0400
I have a sweet little girl that is a year and a half old. I have had
her since she was 8 wks old. She had minimal use of her back legs when
she came to me (birth defect) but was full of spunk with the brightest
eyes you've ever seen. In the last few weeks, she has begun to lose any
mobility at all in her hind legs, dragging everywhere, and now has lost
the control of her bowels and bladder. Her eyes are losing their shine,
but she is still so precious and loves me so much. Her "brother", that
has been with her since she was a kit, has taken to following her
around, nosing her legs. He seems sad.

My question is this. How do I tell if she is in pain? How do I know if
it's time to let her pass? I don't mind cleaning her up, and cleaning
up after her. She isn't a candidate for "wheels", as she gets very
upset if flipped over (like a turtle). But what do I look for, as in
quality of life, vs quantity? My heart is breaking just thinking of
it, and watching her struggle so.

Thank you.

[SM]