From:
James Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 18:53:01 EST
In yesterdays post I was rather upset at the way caregivers were flamed.
Were the people envolved sure it was the caregivers fault the ferrets were
losing weight.  As a ferret owner, foster dad and caregiver I know for a
fact that some ferrets take time to adjust to new situations.  I have had
several over the years who have come to me and refused to eat, became
listless and severly depressed.  Two had to be fed through IVs just to keep
them from starving.  I have had this with induvidal ferrets and groups of as
many as four.  It is hard to understand why this happens, sometimes it is
because of diet change, other times it can be caused from loss of friends
(either human or ferret).  It is not always the caregivers fault.  I think
this situation should be investgated further before the blame is laid soley
at the doorstep of the caregiver.  Although I am not the caregiver mentioned
in this post I feel it my duty to stand up for other people who love and
care for these animals as I do, be it mine or someone elses.  Please check
to be sure the caregiver is doing everything to correct the problem, it has
taken as long as a week to ten days to get some stubborn critters to eat and
react the way they should after being through a tramatic life change (which
for some includes being left at a sitters).  Thank you.