From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 09:55:00 -0400
I have just read Ela's post regarding her ferret sitting experience.  Oh
Ela, I am so touched you gave up your time, tolls, and troubles to help our
kids!  Many of you are new readers and do not know-- Ela actually travelled
a year ago up to Ferret Wise from her home in NJ for a Spring cleanup
weekend.  She was the only one that actually showed up, but with her help
the shelter walls were painted a beautiful dove white-- and it made the room
seem larger and much brighter with the four windows!  Ela is a giving and
caring person-- she has sent stamps and cards and letters-- with her help
and encouragement we at Ferret Wise are still doing all we can to help the
abused and neglected ferrets..  I know she has done the same for other
shelters too.  Ela you are a jewel!

Though our sheltering progams are different than when intially opened a
critical care facility for those abuse & negelct ferret taken in by humane
agencies (and emergency intake cases only)-- we have 33 charges in hospice /
foster care ( we just lost one) have a foster grandparents program started
to help them out-- and have effectively assisted in closing down a pet
store.

Our education dates are started this year-- we will be in NH this weekend at
Nashua PetsMart on Sunday-- 11-4, then a rabies clinic in Keene on May 2nd--
At teh Ferret FunDay in No.  Conway NH May 9th , then off to MA again for an
education Day and a fun event!!  All this while working hand in hand with
the NH humane community to have ferrets evolve into an understood and loved
domestic companion.

Ela did a wonderful thing in undertaking to offer her servicces for a
shelter donation.  Even though we never saw (or had knowledge of it) the
donation-- we appreciate her great efforts!

I am not saying for others to follow the same premise as the ferret owner
with lack of conscience-- but when I initially read the post on ferret
sitting - I thought the idea was wonderful!!!!!  Please make sure that the
owners you sit for - do sign and date An agreement ( a waiver) agreeing to
cover the costs of any required vet care for their animals - and specify the
vet arrangements are made with at a designated vet.,

A sitter might find themselves locked into a vet bill unsuspectingly if this
was not provided for in advance!

Thanks to all the FML folks who help their ferrets helters-- you make our
work so much easier!

Alicia
for Ferret Wise Education & Rehabilitation CENTER!