From:
katharine long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 15:03:34 EST
My 4 year old albino, Lily, is now a famous ferret.  This is not really a
good thing.  A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that her vulva was swollen
and, to make a long story short, after the UT panel was run, she had adrenal
surgery, resulting in the removal of her left adrenal gland which was
tumorous.

Today, my vet called and had received the pathology work back.  It seems
that Lily had a pheochromocytoma (big word, ain't it?).  To the best of my
understanding, this is where there are two separate and distinct tumors
(benign, thank God) within one adrenal gland.  He said there has only been
three reported cases of this in ferrets.  In all his years as a vet, he has
never seen this before in any animal.  But, not to worry, he says.

Here's my concern.  The surgery was 12 days ago.  Her vulva is still very
swollen, her anus seems to be a little swollen, she is itching like crazy
(not where the incision is) and is drinking a lot of water.  He told me to
wait another week for all of this to subside but I'm worried.  Any
suggestions or am I being an overprotective mommy?  Any and all advice is
appreciated.

Katharine
Lily, Lany, Blaze, and Champ