From:
Laura Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 15:50:24 -0800
Finally got a vet appointment. This morning Ringo was so cock-headed
that when I put him down on my bed he started walking in circles :(
So I put him back in the cage so he wouldn't hurt himself. The vet
was worried he'd perforated his eardrum but it's intact - just pretty
swollen. He has both an infection is his inner AND outer ear. Wasn't
mites - vet thinks something got in there and irritated it and then the
infection started. He gave me some Amoxycillin and Entederm ointment
and said we should see significant improvement in the next three days.
Ended up costing me a couple hundred bucks cuz he had to anesthetize
him to examine and clean the ear. I said to the vet "Anytime I leave
your office and still have my pet it's a good day!" Last year I brought
Duncan in because he was breathing hard and lethargic and he ended
up dying during his exam. Xrays showed his abdomen was riddled with
Lymphoma. So the fact this is something entirely CUREABLE truly made my
day! Ringo's five and half and the oldest I've had a ferret that didn't
have lymphoma, cardiomyopathy, adrenal or insulinoma.

Meanwhile, after an email that said I very well could have mites in MY
ear I put a few Tresaderm drops in my own ear (after looking up that
humans can take it as well). And the next day I wasn't having anymore
ear pain or crackling. Now since it wasn't mites I guess maybe putting
in the meds dried up whatever moisture was in there? Who knows. All I
know is I know feel the urge to poop in corners and I was doing
Ferretone beer bongs earlier. Found it a bit difficult to scruff myself
and trim my nails, though!

Laura