From:
Kat Albrecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:30:45 -0400
I thought I would let all-ya'll know that I am still lurking on your
digest.  I check every day to read about any lost/found ferrets e-mails.
My non-profit, the National Center for Missing Pets (NCMP), is still
collecting data on lost/found ferret stories for our "lost ferret
research." Since both Gay and Mini shared stories of ferrets that were
missing and later found, I thought I would jump in and ask if you could
take the time to participate in our research.

We are primarily interested in knowing HOW LONG the ferrets were missing
and HOW FAR they traveled, but there are other important questions to
answer as well (what were they doing when found..hiding, scratching on a
door, exploring, etc.).  You can particpate in our study by going to our
website (http://www.missingpet.org), clicking on our Lost Pet Survey and
answering the questions.  I will be sending up a prayer for little Magee
who is still missing.  (Was the ferret that escaped from the tent on the
camping trip ever found??  I pray over your missing little fuzzies!).

The NCMP is on the verge of making national news..we are now using DNA
analysis in our missing pet investigations!  We have found a genetics lab
that will attempt to match blood/hair fibers of a cat that we believe was
killed by a coyote to hair filbers that we collected from the missing cat's
bed.  If there is a positive comparison, it will be the first time that DNA
has been used to help pet detectives solve a missing pet case.  You can
read details of this case on our website homepage under "NCMP uses forensic
technology".  We will update the results of the DNA test on our websited
when it is complete.  We are also looking for volunteers (especially in the
San Francisco, CA Bay area) so check that out if you have the time.

Kat & Dogs

Kathy "Kat" Albrecht
Executive Director
                   National Center For Missing Pets
*Exciting Search & Rescue Stories *Tips on Finding Lost Pets *Forensic
Applications To Missing Pet Investigations *Pet Search & Rescue *If You Own
A Pet, Come Visit Us!
                      http://www.missingpet.org