From:
Reg & Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2008 08:06:25 -0500
Hi to all and hope this finds you well and your fuzzies doing good. We
travel a lot with our ferrets as they love to check out new places and
go on vacation to meet new people and have new smells and places to
investigate. On your travels we took a larger pet travel cage and made
it two stories by using a thick piece of cardboard with a hole cut near
the front end of the cage to allow access to both top and bottom. On
the bottom we have a litter box in the back and then one of those food
holders that usually comes with the travel cage attached to the inside
of the cage with food in one side and then the water bottle attached to
the outside of the carrier with the drinking nozzle through the door
over the other section. This allows the water to drip into the empty
bowl and once it has a good amount then we remove the bottle until it
is needed again as they will drink from that accumulation in the dish.
On the top level then we have blankets or sleepy sack that they curl up
in and then once at a stopping point (hotel, etc.) we have the playpen
that they then stay in and we separate the two halves of the cage and
put them in as well so they have a hidey place to sleep and then access
to the litter box and we attach the cage door to the side of the
playpen with the water bottle attached again and there is their diner.
Has worked wonderfully and we are so glad to have the playpen because
with the mat floor there is no worry of any mess left behind and also
no worries of them coming in contact with anything that may cause
disease, etc.

If you are using just a regular cage, which I have done as well, just
put an empty container attached to the cage under the nozzle of the
bottle to catch the water and then again remove the bottle once there
is a bit accumulated and then replace when needed. We found that if you
don't have any of the containers that came with a travel cage or any of
the crocks that attach to the cage that there are some dishes that are
used for bird cages that have really nice cage attaching hooks that
work well and are not too expensive.

Hope this helps and happy traveling!

All our best to you and your fuzzies,

Kim