From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 01:37:09 -0500
In the last few days, I've recieved 47 requests for the bone whistle/flute.
I thought, since I use it to call my ferrets, I would share how it is made,
and how I use it.

I like the upper arm bone from a turkey (the humerus).  I cut off both ends
(the epiphyses) and cut out any spongy-looking bone (cancellous bone)
blocking the remaining tube (the diaphysis).  You should have a hollow bone
tube at this point, about 10cm long.  Lay the bone on the table so the flat
sides are up/down.  Make two marks on the tube; one in the middle, and one
at the fat end about 2 cm from the end.  At the middle mark, drill a hole
about 4-5 mm, then file and taper the edges smooth.  At the fat end, do the
same thing, except make the hole about 9-10 mm.  In both cases, make the
holes oval in shape, with the longish part of the oval running parallel to
the length of the bone.

At this point, you should have a 10 cm hollow tube, with a 4-5 mm hole in
the middle and a 9-10 mm hole about 2 cm from the fat end (Measurements are
from the center of the holes).  Both holes should be tapered and filed
smooth.  If you really want to be authentic, find some tar and seal the fat
end of the tube; natural asphalt is authentic, as is bee's wax or wooden
plugs.  Candle wax is a good subsitute.  Leave the smaller end open.

Now is the hard part.  It plays like a flute, by blowing across the hole at
the fat end, and the note can be modified by closing the middle hole with
your fingertip (which is why it is important to smooth and taper the holes).
With my wonderful talents, it took me weeks to get it right, but most people
catch on in a few minutes.  You can add extra holes for more notes if you
wish.  It is also authentic to carve a plug (like a modern whistle) and play
from the end, instead of like a flute, it is much harder to get right, and
almost impossible to describe without a diagram.  Anyway, the whistle sould
can be quite loud and irritating, if done repeatedly but teenagers on
raining afternoons.  But I digress...

The outer bone can be carved or painted, or decorated in many ways, but most
of the whistles I've seen that come from archaeological contexts were not
decorated much, if at all.  (They were also frequently made from an eagle
humerus, which is much longer, but many turkey whistles were found in the
SW, so they are still somewhat authentic).

Now for the ferret part.  I have trained my ferrets to come to two basic
whistle sounds; one a single tone, which means "treats" or "raisins." Each
time I give them a treat, I blow the whistle first.  Once they associate the
sound to the whistle, they always come, even the sleepyheads in their
"sleeping, not dead" mode.

The other whistle sound is made by repeatedly opening and closing the hole,
making the tone go alternately high and low.  (Isn't it great to read the
description of music made by someone who doesn't know his bass from his
piccolo?) That means "playtime," and is usually associated with "lets go
outside." This brings most of them out, their are a few lazybutts who hide
under the beanbag, but I (should I say it?) ferret them out.  (He he he)

On one flute, it was impossible for me to make a sound using the correct
hole, so I used the smaller one, and it sounded great.  You might have to
make a couple before you get it right, so don't give up if at first it
doesn't work.  If you still have problems, e-mail me and I'll offer
suggestions.

The great thing about these whistles is, they are free!  Well, they also
have a smooth organic sound unlike most whistles I've heard (I used to use a
ref's whistle, but found watching football or basketball on TV somewhat
impossible).  Each whistle has an unique sound; I suppose it is possible to
train each ferret to the tone from a single whistle, although I have never
tried.

The good part of training ferrets to a whistle is it is easy to call the
ferrets in after they have been romping in the backyard.  Or if you haven't
seen one of them and need to see if they are all right.  It is especially
good for helping to find lost ferrets, or call back those escapees.  In
truth, I love to see them crowding me for their chance at a raisin or piece
of dried pineapple (It also helps me make sure everyone has a chance for a
treat and not one hog gets it all).

Now, in truth, you don't need a whistle to do the ferret stuff.  Just as
good are bells, squeaky toys, etc.  But I found the whistles seem to work
just a little bit better, and their sound carries much farther than bells or
squeaks.  Monica has a silver flute (she flouted it last summer....) which
I'm sure she could make do the job.  But the bone whistles are cool, and
more than once, while in the public (Hey Fox; I got public right!), when
bothered by pokey-fingered dirty-faced human rats demanding "wut an airth
thet thang waz," I just reply:

"Why, that is an endangered Missourian Devildog, know for its ability to cut
electric cables with it's bare teeth.  See this bone?  Why just last week
some unfortuate soul pushed a finger into the Devildog's face...."

I always tell the truth later. But the initial look is worth the story.

Mo' Bob and the 18 Missouri Devildogs (Minus Gus the Angeldog)