From:
"Marya K. Kowal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 1995 16:59:56 -0400
Someone, chris and co. I think, said they had been told that surgery in
a ferret over 3 years old was unnessesary, and that such a ferret would
live 2 years and die in their sleep.

Well, Emma is almost 4, and she took 4 days to go from a normal-looking
ferret to a blimp with a softball-sized tumor.  She had it pressing on all
her vital organs, it killed her kidney, damaged her nervous system,
squooshed her lungs and the vet said it was a miracle her digestive system
worked at all.  All the while, she ate a little less, had just as much
energy and seemed fine to the beholder's eye.

I cannot advise you strongly enough to go for the surgery NOW!!!  If your
vet feels that she is a good candidate to survive it.  Our little buddies
don't do alot of whining and complaining.  They have a hard time telling us
they are sick because of their sweet, happy-go-lucky natures and their
natural energy levels.  It isnt until its nearly too late that we find out
they are ill.

Emma couldnt tell me how bad she felt, how much she suffered. Its going to
take me a long time to stop feeling guilty that I didnt take her in sooner.
She survived the surgery, and is happy, healthy and better than ever.

Marya

P.S. Why settle for 2 more years when with surgery you could have 5 or more??