From:
"Denise L. Voskuil" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 19:19:54 -0600
From:    "Charlene M Lowe (Charlene Lowe)" <[log in to unmask]>
>Hello Ferret McDuff.  I do have a copy of the Mpls ordinance.  It is true -
>there is nothing that says "ferrets are not allowed" but rather "wild
>animals are not allowed...  They also say "wild" is not defined at all but
>rather also is up to discretion of officer on duty ...

I used to live in Mpls, then St.  Louis Park.  The AC ordinances and
materials also mention "wild by nature" - a convenient 'out' for them, as
this is harder to disprove.  I was also told by them that the forbidding of
ferrets is because of the lack of US-based rabies shedding time tests, and
they also blamed it on the state's dept.  of epidemiology's lack of
confidence in Imrab-3.  I'm sure they'll now fall back on the 'wild by
nature' caveat.

>Ferret supplies are not sold anywhere in Mpls.

Not true; I'd found them in various places, including a pet store just off
of the corner of Lake and Hennepin in Uptown, and one near Lake Calhoun on
Lake St. (Pet Station or something?) You just have to look hard.

>So these things make me believe that Mpls is an FFZ.  Perhaps it is not
>*exactly* worded that way in the books.  But the mentality of AC here in
>Mpls suggest that a ferret is at a purty-good risk of being confiscated...

I thought the Ferret FAQ noted Mpls.  as a 'technical' FFZ, like New York
City (extremely hostile, and AC will interpret ordinances as being vs.
ferrets).

- Denise
--
Denise Voskuil - [log in to unmask]@eden.com - http://www.mcs.net/~dvoskuil/