From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 09:44:00 -0800
I was disappointed to see a request for "POOF" letters without homework
being done.  F&G has agreed to contact CDFA (CA Domestic Ferret
Assocication) when illegal ferrets are found or confiscated.  I cannot be
sure that this always occurs, but when and if it does, there is a legal and
legitimate method of placing these rescues in a foster home until
transportation can be arranged to transfer these little guys to a more
hospitable state.  You can be assured that any one from CDFA or FA (Ferret's
Anonymous) fielding a offer of a foster home would be absolutely scrupulous
in interviewing for fear of losing this hard won concession.

I am a member of Peninsula Humane Society, Palo Alto Humane Society, and
CDFA.  I have three cats at home, all rescue animals.  My persian was taken
in to be "put down" due to severe inbreeding related health problems.  My
daughter is a Certified AHT who spent four months and a goodly portion of
her income bringing him back to health before he came home to me.  Another
cat has feline herpes, stress colitus, a heart condition, just to mention a
few of his problems.  I have five "feral" cats at work that I feed, worm,
spay and neuter, and provide any vet care necessary - at my own expense.  My
reward is that at feeding time I have five very affectionate (to me) cats
outside my office window calling Mom.  If I am late, my co-workers come
knocking on my door to tell me my kids are calling me.  It has taken four
years of consistent care to gain their trust.  Sadly, I started with two,
and now have five.  Not everyone out there is a responsible pet owner.

I would ask that you not jump to conclusions or assume the worst of honest
offers.  Making the decision to accept foster ferrets was not an quick and
easy decision.  We have two happy healthy ferrets that have full run of the
house, taking in rescues is also taking a chance on bringing in illness or
aggressive behavior.  We discussed it carefully before determining that we
could, with careful planning, provide a quarantine area that would not be
oppressive or isolating, a lot of stimulation, and a great deal of loving
care.

There are a lot of us out here, who love and respect animals and do our best
to relieve the suffering of those abused and/or abandoned in any way we can.
I am fortunate that I work with several, and that I married someone who
shares this commitment, and that our children actively participate in this -
(you could almost call it a crusade).  Those I know do what they can without
recognition, compensation, or self-congratulation.

Sorry about the soap box, I tend to get carried away.  I have seen too much
suffering not to be somewhat fanactic.