From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 18:33:49 -0500
Dodie, I can't recall where you asked about this so will answer it in two
places, as well as sending it privately.  I will forward it to the FML
since I have to use a different addy for the other one, so hopefully, I
haven't used up my slots there.

Most of the herbs mentioned weren't mentioned at all anywhere in the 6
(human) references I used, not for good and not for bad -- just nothing.
One of them was listed as something that used to be used but has largely
been discontinued as nit very effective and carrying risks.  I looked
them up exactly as given to me.

This part will be of interest: According to the _Herb-Drug Interaction
Handbook_ Star Bethlehem is NOT safe to give with Digoxin or the cardiac
medication class glycosides.  It is able to increase the toxicity of
these meds.

Clematis has little effect but can pose a poisoning risk for humans.
Usually the effect is mild such as some blistering from the fresh
material, but larger amounts can cause irritation of both the GI and
Urinary tracts, and ever larger amounts can cause asphyxiation.  The
resources say that it almost never used for humans any longer.

Walnut has no concerns listed except for the walnut hulls which are
linked to cancers of the tongue and leukoplakia of the lips.