From:
"Marlene B., Richmond Ferret Rescue" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 19:07:21 -0500
And I though ferret folks were eccentric/weird/ whatever...

Oh well, I looked over their website, which is pretty good, but I think
I recognized one of the "rattie" folks.  I met her at PetsMart, where we
used to set up an info table and take a handful of personals ( we don't
do on-site adoptions).  This woman wanted to adopt ferrets from RFRL-
but after we had talked awhile, I just started to nod, smile and say
"I'll give you a call".  This woman was a major collector.  She had a
rat rescue back then, and she also had 6 ferrets that she had " rescued".
She also had a sh*tload of dogs, cats, chincillas....you name it.

Needless to say, we didn't take her up on her offer to foster or adopt a
ferret.  I learned through the animal rescue groups that she had moved
out of state.  She also had a husband and children.  I have no clue if
she is affiliated with the NJ. Rescue.  Although NJ. is less than 4 hours
from Virginia.

There are some pros & cons to this rescue:
Pros: Website is pretty damn good.  They also attend public adoptions.
The pics looked like they take damn good care of those "ratties".  And
I guess SOMEONE has to rescue rats.

Cons: Ummm....they obviously have un-neutered/spayed rats- what else do
they have not "fixed"?  They breed- they certainly know their types and
colors of ratties.  So, what else do they breed?  Also, do they
neuter/spay ANYTHING before placing for adoption?  Lets NOT do the math
on how many rats/cats/puppies/gerbils can be born in a sort period of
time.  And, they have many "unadoptable" rats- mostly because they bite.
Geez, I've had rats before who did and didn't bite.  I think rats are
much more likely to bite than ferrets.  Rat rehabilitation.  That must
be fun.  Those rodent teeth are quite long, and make deep punctures.
Besides, rats are notorious for pooping or peeing while you're holding
them.  Guess I'm biased.  Ferrets don't often seem to have this issue.
Oh, hell, I apologize for making fun of rattie reskue.

Their website pictures a few hundred rats- but further on, the website
says they only have 36 adoptables.  So how many assorted animals do they
have?  Sure, Most good shelter folks fall in love with their adoptables.
But it's ALWAYS in the BEST INTEREST of the pet to have a family of their
own.  I'd rather not drive my ancient station wagon to NJ for a visit.
Maybe someone can call animal control?  Or call "Animal Cops" from Animal
planet?  Oh, and just yummy- rodent pee always smells so good.  No matter
how often cages are cleaned.  And cat crap?  Just nasty stuff.  No wonder
cats try to cover it up.  How about un-neutered cats that spray?  I hate
collectors.Of any type of animal.

Oh- gelatin has been made for YEARS & YEARS from slaughter-house horse
hooves.  Probably from many animal's hooves- I just know for sure about
the horse source.  My two cents.

Marlene Blackburn
Director
Richmond Ferret Rescue League