From:
Kim Schilling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:04:13 -0500
Someone inquired about setting up an outdoor playground for ferrets.
I thought I'd share what I do, although it's rather unique and probably
not a feasible set-up for most people.

When my son was born, I decided that I no longer wanted our 21' above
ground pool.  I'd get another when he learned to swim.  (Our pool is 5'
deep, and I had a friend lose a 3 yr old in a pool).  But I digress....
So I ripped out the pool liner and left the round aluminum frame.  The
bottom substrate is about 5 inches of sand.  Below that is a significant
layer of lava rock.  Lava rock also surrounds the pool frame.
Additionally, the pool-turned-playground is equipped with a removable
ladder.  Housed in the playground 8 months out of the year (yes, you
heard me right) are 12 ferrets and a handful of smaller tortoises.

The sand substrate allows for ample digging, but the lava rock prevents
my ferrets from escaping.  They've made some great burrows!  The
playground also contains a small hard plastic kiddy pool/sandbox (the
green one shaped like a turtle).  This is always filled to the top with
fresh water.  A dozen or so colorful plastic balls float on top.  A
cement block is directly outside of the pool so that they can get in it
with no problem.  Another cement block is actually in the wading pool
to allow them to get out if they can't go over the side.  Some of our
ferrets actually swim like otters.  Others just cautiously sneak sips
here and there.  They have burrowed beneath the pool and made multiple
tunnels and sleeping areas.  The plastic cover that came with the turtle
pool is laying on the sand where they tunneled under that as well.

The playground contains various logs, including a couple of hollowed out
ones.  Colorful discarded Little Tikes "furniture" allows them to explore
and climb.  They also provide great sleeping areas.  PVC tubes are strewn
about the ground.  Some are elevated and run from log to log.  Cement
blocks (the 40lb rectangular monsters that have the two square openings
in them) are arranged into multi-level climbing castles - great for the
nails, too.  The blocks are heavy enough and secured enough to not fall
over.

In the playground is an old aluminum fishing boat (about 8' long).  It's
on its side, leaning partially over and resting on a couple of logs.  It
provides the largest shaded area and protection from heavy rains.  Under
the boat is also where I keep the bowl of kibble (NOT free-fed) and a
bowl of water.  Additionally, I keep 3 medium-sized Tupperware bins under
there - 1 filled with pine shavings, 1 filled with topsoil, and one
filled with small pebbles.  They do take advantage of these fun bins by
playing and sleeping in them.

In the middle of the playground I've placed 4 medium sized carriers (no
doors) and arranged them in a circle with the openings facing inward.
Each carrier also contains a hanging hammock.  Over the carriers I placed
another plastic kiddy pool top that serves as a roof.  It's like 4 little
bungalows under one roof.  Also in the playground are several milk crates
of various colors.  A couple are right side up and contain hanging
hammocks.  A few are turned over.  They look like little jails, but the
ferrets can get out through the two small handle openings on each side.

Over the past few years, quite a bit of vegetation has taken root in the
playground.  Sometimes it looks like a jungle in the playground, so I
trim it back on occasion.  It's so thick in some areas that the ferrets
burrow into the middle of the clumps of grass and weeds and make nests
in the cool shade they provide.  I've had no problems with any of the
vegetation present.  The ferrets don't really nibble on it.  The
burrowing and playing had left the playground bottom "hilly" as opposed
to flat.  Some areas are packed hard.  Other areas are still soft and
sandy.  We add sand every year too.

Somewhere in there is a little tire hanging from a teepee shaped branch
cluster.

Doing a headcount for safety and health evaluations is challenging and
takes a bit of creativity using various noises and banging of "stuff".
Going in there to play with them and rearrange the d=E9cor is also
challenging since my mob of ferrets include a few nippers, and you have
to watch your step when treading through the "bush".

I frequently throw goldfish in the pool, which I eventually have to
remove and feed to my alligator after the ferrets lose interest in them.
I also dump bags of crickets in there every once in a while, which
"disappear" quickly.  I feed a few other natural foods as well.  Another
enrichment I use is placing various "scents" in various areas through out
the playground.  Oh, and various little toys for them to claim and steal
from each other are also present.

So, what do I do when it's brutally hot out, which it's been here in
Chicago for quite a while?  I set up a hose to spray a heavy mist into
the pool - sometimes a few times a day if needed.  I let it spray until
some areas of the playground are several inches deep with water.  A few
of the ferrets love to wade through and even roll around in the shallow
pools.  The vegetation gets soaked and makes the nest areas extra cool.
The wet sand also provides a cooling atmosphere.

While some of you may find parts of my set-up unacceptable (probably due
to myths and misconceptions......and over-babying ferrets unnecessarily),
I have to say that I have some of the happiest and healthiest ferrets
I've ever seen.  They've adapted to varying temperatures.  They're wiser
and safe from predators.  They have dozens of various nesting choices.
They're protected from the wind.  They have many options to choose to
protect themselves from the heat and rain.  Their coats are beautiful
and plush.  They're also VERY clean and virtually odor-free.  They're
muscular and full of energy.  All of them, including the nippers, are
exceeding friendly and loving.  I still bring them to educational
programs.  None of them, including the elder ferrets (6-9 yrs), are
suffering from the typical ferret maladies I all-too-often read and hear
about.  I haven't lost a personal ferret in a very long time.  Owner
give-ups also thrive.  Although there's some infrequent squabbling that
occurs amongst the ferrets, they seem to accept each other more readily
in this open environment.

The main keys to safe and effective outdoor housing are: Escape
proof(!!!!!!), multiple shelters including shade, comfortable and varying
substrates, ample water, provisions to protect from heat and cold, an
abundance of enriching "stuff" and opportunities, protection from
predators, and continuing human interaction and affection.  **Some
playground perimeters might be best if the base is buried a foot or so
beneath the ground

So, that's what I do.  I'd hope that some of you would extract some
valuable information from this, which will enrich your ferrets' lives
and promote good health.  You'd be surprised at how tossing some old
misconceptions will yield some amazingly positive results.  Give it a
try.

Kim Schilling
Author, Ferrets for Dummies
Director, Animals for Awareness