From:
Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 10:43:29 -0400
>From:    Jen Lutton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: coolers as housing
>
>Hi.  My name is Jen and it's been a long time since I've posted.  I have
>to say I think using a cooler as a ferret "cage" in warm weather is a
>really bad idea.  You can't see into it to notice if something's wrong.
>The ventilation will be poor, no matter how many holes you put in it.  It
>will be dark inside.  And it won't necessarily be COOL, it will only be
>insulated.....so if it's a hot day, with no ventilation.....you get the
>idea.  Even the ice packs you might put in a cooler could probably be
>dangerous, as a ferret might bite or scratch the covering, and the goo
>would leak out.  They say it's nontoxic, but I wouldn't eat it, so I
>wouldn't give a weasel a shot at it either.

I don't want to the use the coolers as cages.  I want to add them to my
existing cages as a sleeping box that is cool.  I want to be sure there
is plenty of ventilation for oxygen and no way for the ferret to poison
itself.  (I have ton of the foam coolers and the ferrets just shred them)
This a variation on a trick used for housing monkeys outdoor and giving
them warm secure housing using heated brick instead of ice bottles.

I have airconditioning, the room isn't always cool enough, I use ice
bottles and two complete sets to rotate between all the cages, I use a
fan in front of a buck of ice water.  I'm not sure wet towels will work
on top of 4 ft cages its the only thing I don't do.

I plan to have the ductwork re-done but don't quite know when.  One hot
spell coould be a problem.