From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1993 13:51:57 -0400
To Michael Curran concerning weight loss:

        Although nothing concrete has been written on this subject, periodic
weight fluctuations appear to be the norm in ferrets.  My ferrets also do the
same thing.  When they start getting very skinny, we often supplement ours with
Gerber chicken baby food, which they readily upset.  A rapid weight loss
associated with lethargy and lack of interest in its environment is a definite
sign that something is wrong, but if he doesn't have any other signs of illness,
I would just try to increasehis intake and see what happens.

To Chris concerning milk:

        As is the case with all of our domestic pets - lactase is the intestinal
enzyme needed to break down the sugars in milk.  Animals generally have very low
levels of this enzyme, and supplementation with milk often gives them diarrhea.
I wouldn't necessarily say it's BAD for ferrets; it just gives them loose
stools.  I have a lot of people say that it isn't bad for their ferrets; their
ferrets get it all of the time and tolerate it well.  They probably have higher
than normal levels of lactase in their GI tracts by now, that's all.  And it's
not lactic acid in milk, it's lactose that's the problem.  And I don't know of
anyone giving human milk to ferrets (seemslike if they had it, they would have
better things to do with it....)

Bruce Williams, DVM