From:
Barry Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 09:24:29 -0500
Hello all.  I have been lurking around for a couple of weeks, and now is
the time I picked to post. ;o)

My first ferret sighting was in 1993.  I am sure I had seen them here and
there in pet stores before that and just not REALLY noticed them.  But this
is when I REALLY took notice of the fur-covered slinky toys that we all
adore.

I was 13 years old at the time, and we lived around the corner from a HUGE
flea market/auction place.  I spent a lot of time on weekends during the
summer hanging around there.  So this particular day I had been strolling
around checking out the goods for a couple of hours, and I decided to go
get a soda.

I walked up to the snack bar window, and there was a woman standing beside
me with a funny looking bag hanging over her shoulder.  There was a rope
(turned out to be a leash) hanging out of it, and it kept moving.  Kinda
freaked me out but I was thinking to myself "Yeah whatever.  This is NJ.
Land of the strange!"  A few seconds later, the little flap on top of the
bagflew open and there were four pointed, fur covered faces staring at me.
Needless to say I jumped backward (into a vendor's display) and yelled.
Hey, they scared me.  I had absolutely no clue what the heck they were.
The only thought running through my head at the time was "Oh my god I'm
going to be eaten alive by psychopath rats from outer space!"

heheh.  Anyway, the lady stopped what she was doing long enough to
introduce me to the ferrets and explain what they were, etc..  She even
informed me that two of the ones in her bag were up for adoption, and gave
me her business card so that if I could talk the parents into it, I could
call her up.  But, Parents said "HELLS NO!"  And so I never got around to
giving her a call.  I did however know that I wanted one.  And I have been
waiting six years to adopt one.  I'm going to adopt in a few months.

So there you have it, the story of how I lost my ferret "virginity".
*LOL*

Barry Thomas