From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:49:33 -0400
>From:    Rascal's Mom <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Colds
>Booker, one of our new babies, seems to have a cold... I took her to the
>vet, one I had never seen before... I took Booker and her sister, Angelica
>in for their final distemper booster.  When I mentioned the cold, I was
>told that her distemper shot would take care of the cold.

Huh?  Maybe the vet ought to call the American Medical Association and tell
them he's found the cure for the common cold!  Sorry for my sarcasm, but I
don't see how a distemper shot can take care of a cold.

On top of that, we NEVER, EVER give vaccinations to ferrets that are ill.
Their immune system is already compromised.  I know some vets may not agree
with that, but I've seen ferrets go downhill after a vaccination when sick
with something.  Coincidence?  Maybe, but I doubt it.

Just like with humans, the only thing that cures a cold is about two weeks.
We've used a cool mist vaporizer if they're congested and sometimes a
little Benedryl, but otherwise, there's not a lot you can do.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Shelter web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc