From:
Susan Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:20:02 -0600
Hello,
I have subscribed to ferret digest for several months now and I have a
question that I would like to know if someone could help with.  I have a
little female ferret her name is "Buffie" a few months ago my daughters dog
got a hold of her, the dog did not hurt her but she went into shock.  After
the dog got ahold of her she did not move for over 3 hours, I thought she
was dying and just waited.  After about 3 and a half hours she opened her
eyes and looked at me and drank a little water that I offered her on a
spoon.  I called a vet here that specializes in ferret care and rushed 40
miles to get her to the vet.  When I got her to the vet the vet checked her
over and said she appeared to have no injuries but wanted to keep her over
night.  The vet gave her a steroid shot to compensate for the shock and put
her in a incubator.  I went to pick her up the next day and the vet told me
she was fine and had given her another steroid shot and sent her home with
us.  It took her a few days before she returned to her normal self.  She is
not fully recovered.  Now over the last few weeks her coat which was a brown
color on the tips and a light color base, now her top coat which was brown
is starting to turn white--her head is alread completely white.

She will be a year old in feb.  and she looks like a grandma.  Is this
change in coat color due to the shock she suffered or is this just her
winter coat???

My next problem is we recently got a new ferret a little female we call her
"Honey" she is now about 3 months old.  Our male ferret "Baby" who will be
two years old in january accepts the new little ferret just fine.  But
"Buffie" the other female hates her new little sister with a passion.  She
will bite her very hard in the back of the neck and not let go.  We have to
flick her nose to get her to let go, and the baby really squeals when she is
bit.  We have tried several things and still "Buffie" hates the baby.  We
are at our wits end.  How do we get "Buffie" to accept her new little
sister???  HELP--PLEASE!!!

Susan Barnes
Hudson, SD
e-mail  [log in to unmask]