From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 1996 10:55:18 -0400
I think ferrets see red.  It's only a hunch, but Sebastian has always seemed
to have a preference for red.  There's a red blanky that is draped over a
milk crate (with a pillow in the bottom--okay, Sebastian is a bit of an
epicurean).  I tried to take that red blanky once.  Just once.  It's the
kind of blanket you can snap into a robe like thing and I was cold and
wanted to wear it.  Sebastian wasn't even napping there at the time.  Well,
when he saw me steal his red blanky, he bristled up and dashed about and
acted real weird.  He sort of went into enemy surveillance and ambush mode.
I took the blanket off real slow and put it back where I found it.
Sebastian dragged a big chunk of it under the dresser to make sure nothing
like that would happen again.  To summarize, he becomes easily attached to
red things.

Also, I thought I'd share with you all a really cute thing Sebastian does.
Neither of our two ferrets are allowed downstairs in our townhouse.  We
don't want them running out the front door, jumping into the aquariums,
getting into the basement, hiding behind the refrigerator, or unpotting our
plants.  However, we do occasionally allow them some supervised downstairs
playtime.  Well, recently, whenever we open the little door that keeps the
ferrets upstairs, Sebastian will tumble down the stairs at the speed of
light as usual, and scout around a bit.  What's unusual is he will rush back
up the stairs after a few minutes and wait at the closed door.  When I open
the door, he stands in the opening so I can't close it again and gives me a
strange look, and then tumbles happily back downstairs.

My interpretation:  the strange look means "now leave it like that!"  He
hates having that door closed.

Happy ferretting,
Catherine