Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 2009 20:18:14 -0700
Obviously Misty responded to my post completely off the cuff. She did
NOT read the post with a calm or clear head. Her response is not
surprising. The intent of my original post was not to discuss the pros
and cons of what to feed - but rather to NOT be hasty to govern those
that choose a different method or even what animal one can choose to
have as a companion.

I do not have s-n-a-k-e-S (as in plural) - I have ONE snake. I stated
"Slinky" is a corn snake, therefore of the "rat" snake family, which
do NOT get large enough to consume rabbits (or ferrets). So to answer
Misty's "horrified" query directly - NO, I do NOT feed rabbits to my
snake; but YES, I do feed RABBIT to my ferrets!

Currently the rabbits they consume have been from a butcher shop - and
have been prepped and dressed for human consumption. But I am scouting
for a source of fresh rabbit, because some butcher shops use rabbit
that originates in China, and I refuse to use that source. So I inquire
as to the origin of the rabbit and only purchase it if it comes from a
local source.

I have received a few PMs from folks who appreciated my post for what
it was meant to be - a heads up to people who insist that all pets
should be warm and fuzzy and that because we domesticated the animal it
somehow is supposed to be better off if the human denies it's natural
needs, instincts and abilities; and that we need yet one more law to
force other people to think like the law givers!

Do I think ferrets are more warm and fuzzy than rabbits? Well, in what
connotation? Both have fur, are mammals and prone to crazy antics; but
on the whole, yes I DO prefer ferrets to rabbits! I also prefer ferrets
to cats, dogs and birds! What's the point?

Maybe Misty was wondering if I thought snakes were more warm and fuzzy
than rabbits? Well, that has to be a reounding , NO! Snakes are,
afterall, cold blooded and have no fur!

I've had plenty of discussions with people regarding domesticity and
the animal's biologic needs. Simply put unless we domesticate the
ferret(cat and dog too) to the point of changing it's teeth to the
cutting incisors and grinding molars of an herbivore as well as create
a digestive system that takes at least 24 hours to complete and evolves
a ceacum - then the simple fact remains these animals ARE indeed
carnivores and thrive when offered a diet that imitates what they
evolved to eat before humans opted to house them!

Way too many pets develop neurotic, self destructive habits when their
natural needs are not met. Selecting an animal to be a companion means
more than fitting the animal to your decor. Offering an animal optimal
health means offering above and beyond the basics or "minimum
nutritional requirements". Emotional, mental and physical stimulation
from natural activities keep that animal happiest and healthiest.

No amount of colorful tubes, squeaky plush toys, soft fuzzy blankets,
flowery smelling shampoos can create happiness for a ferret when
compared to a mound of dirt, a pile of leaves, dewy grass and a real
mouse!

I don't expect people who Do NOT venture into the natural world with
their ferrets to "get it" - many never will make the attempt. Some
will, and if they give their indoor ferrets enough time to relax and
explore the outdoors, they'll soon see real joy course through their
ferrets. If they venture in to the natural feeding and allow full
predatory activities, they'll see yet one more level of happiness
unveiled in their small fuzzy friend.

Offering my ferrets natural activities in no way reduces their
domesticity! Quite to the contrary offering my ferrets the chance to
simply do what comes naturally to them has in fact rehabilitated former
vicious biters, empowered timid ones to be bold, and turned elderly
obese ferrets into strong, active companions capable of extended
activity!

Denying what is inherent within the ferret is unhealthy! Ferrets are
predatory carnivores that have been bred to be human companions.
Originally to keep the human' dwellings free of vermin. No amount
of keeping them indoors and in cages will change what they are.

Do I feed live prey to my carnivorous pets? Yep! Why? Because it DOES
offer the ferrets yet one more enrichment and a natural outlet for
their need to sink their teeth into something!

My ferrets dispatch a mouse, rat, or chick in mere split seconds as
a rule. The animal hardly gets out a squeak. Up until that point the
animal had a clean home, fresh food and water, companions and room to
exercise. Their life to that point was carefully tended to. I DO say a
prayer of thanks for the nourishment they will offer to my ferrets. The
simple fact is, at least where the mice are concerned, is they never
would have had ANY life, if it wasn't for my breeding them to BECOME
dinner!

Maybe Misty ( and others) think all ranchers are barbaric for breeding,
feeding, housing, supplying veterinary care to cattle. turkey, hogs,
chickens, sheep and geese? Wonder how many ranchers offered the animals
a chance to fight back?

How does what I eat have anything to do with what offers optimal
nutrition for my ferrets? My system has evolved on a completely
different path and utilizes completely different forms of food! But
to assuage Misty's curiosity - I TRY to eat as MUCH natural food as
I can - alas, I still do devour processed foods and NO, I don't eat
raw animals - unless sushi counts? And yes, the processed foods ARE
likely slowly poisoning me - but dang that Twinkie tastes good!

I'm smart enough to realize not to make a complete diet of Twinkies, or
even allow them to be a major part of my diet. Our companion animals
have no choice but to eat what we supply to them. I happen to choose to
supply them what suits THEM best - not what is most convenient for me!
Although feeding mice is definitely rather easy - no muss, no fuss,
completely packaged meal, with a handle no less!

Not everyone will venture into such natural experiences with their
ferrets and I definitely do NOT expect that those so closed minded
would attempt to enact laws to impose their narrow minded views upon
what I choose to offer to my ferrets.

Open your mind - your horizons will broaden - I guarantee it!

Regards,
Kim