From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 08:39:03 -0400
>From:    Timothy & Darla Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Mucus
>Does anyone know of anything that can cause a ferret to pass large amounts
>of mucus in its stool?

This won't answer your question but... When we first got Max from our shelter
about 4 years ago, he started pooping lots of mucus (some times nothing but
pure mucus like you've seen) and we had every test run imaginable.  X-rays,
barium scan, blood tests, etc., etc., and came up empty handed.

It was a long time ago so my memory is not that clear, but I'm sure we had
him on antibiotics.  He seemed fine in all other respects and it cleared up
on its own, though it took about a month.  Some sort of intestinal bug we
assumed.

Come to think of it, maybe it was related to a change in diet.  I'm not sure
what the shelter was feeding him and what we fed him when we brought him
home, but I'm sure it wasn't the same thing.  But, I've also changed the
diet in other ferrets and never saw mucus in their stool.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke - [log in to unmask]
* Member, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
*
* Shelter Home Page - http://www.gate.net/~mjanke