Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 1997 22:05:51 -0600
I also wondered about the ingredient list after investigating Totally
Ferret.  I thought I'd pass on some information I found.  I'm a relatively
new ferret owner and I've been doing some research about ferret foods
myself.

A good article called "What's in Pet Food: An API Investigative Report" can
be found at http://www.api4animals.org/petfood.htm

There are also two nice charts listing some percentages and the top 10
ingredients of ferret and premium cat foods for kits/adult/senior ferrets at
http://ferret-world.clayton.edu/Docs/foodchartp1.html
http://ferret-world.clayton.edu/Docs/foodchartp2.html

A quick note about these charts.  Notice that they include 1-800 numbers for
the companies.  I called the companies and asked for free samples and
catalogs.  I got samples from about 8 of the companies including a 3 pound
bag of Kaytee Ferret Food.  I will make a comment that the food I decided on
was Innova Feline.  I chose it primairly because it had the necessary
percentages of protein and fat, and all three of the first three ingredients
were meat.

If the food you choose is not available locally, here are three internet
stores that offer ferret foods/supplies.  The Ferret Store even has free
shipping.  A big plus in my book.  :)

        http://www.TheFerretStore.com
        http://www.ferretout.com/index.asp
        http://www.lambriarvet.com/catalog/ferret.htm

Hope all of this helps!  Good luck with your ferrets.

Amy