From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 12:26:46 -0800
Great going Lissy, you have come up with a winner here!

No, wait, am I the first person posting?  I can't be coordinator for
this, I have too much on my plate already.  But it's a WONDERFUL idea,
and one I'll gladly help with.

Kouri wants to help too!  Kouri says he will make a web site page for
Modern Fewwit, if Sharon and Kat will help him, because his mama (that
would be me) is too computer stoopid to do so.  So everyday, people can
go to Kouri's website
http://www.geocities.com/kourifanclub.index.html
and see what is new that day on Modern Fewwit.
[Moderator's note: I think that link should be:
http://www.geocities.com/kourifanclub/index.html      BIG]

Lissy Lu, YOU were the first person posting... hint, hint!

As someone who received Mary and Eric's message about adversity in the
marketplace, I can relate to that.  I work for an airline.  You all know,
don't you, there is only 1 airline in the United States saying it's
operating in the black?  That means ALL the rest of them are in the red!
We had our annual Christmas party cancelled last year.  Nobody minded.
We had our quarterly company paid department luncheon cancelled.  We
still get to go out to lunch, but we pay for it ourselves.  Nobody minds.
Where we have a daily reminder of our austarity kick, is that lights are
not kept on.  Our internal halways had their lighting cut to every other
panel.  In the large departments, the kind I work in, our overhead lights
are allow to burn out.  Each panel holds 3 tubes.  Some panels are all
dark, many, many others, have 1 or 2 tubes dead.  I have RP, so I added
a lamp to my desk, and I keep the light on at the other desk in my cube
section, when "Mr. Ferret Hair" isn't there.

My point is, everyone is affected, and Mary and Eric got caught in the
trickle-down effect, right at the time they thought they were climbing
onto solid ground, and bloop, back into the hole they tumbled.

In my house, we also felt it personally.  My husband was laid off by
his client, Hewlett Packard, last Aug. 15th.  He was then let go by his
employer, who had already closed the Portland office, therefore having
no means of marketing him here, from their Calif. HQ.  He didn't work
again until March 4th of this year!  I'm sure we aren't the only ones
in the 'FML Family' who were caught in the crunch.  To enable us to
continue eating, we tapped into 401K money, to augument his unimployment
allotment.  We were fortunate to HAVE 401K money to draw from!  Self
employed people don't have unimployment benefits eiither.  We even had
a 'minor skirmish' with the state over how he answered a form, and they
stopped paying the 400. a week, until AFTER Percy returned to work.
Just cut him off at the sox because he told them he made a piddly $200.
one day.  If it hadn't been for the 401K we'd be under a bridge by now.
I make an absurd $10.70 an hour!

I tell ya people, land mines are everywhere and none of us knows when we
will step on one.  You don't say "sorry, cuz, but you didn't run your
business the way I thought you should, so therefore, now that you are
laid up, I'm just not gonna help feed your wife and kids".

So here's me, going for the checkbook, to send $35. to that printer bill.

Hugs to all,
Georgia
known on other lists as polecatmama