From:
Klemens Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:53:52 -0800
I just checked Delta's website, imagine my surprise when I see "Cats,
dogs, household birds, guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters, and marmots are
accepted as checked baggage." Since when does anyone travel with a
marmot, and what happened to ferrets? We took our first on Delta to and
from Germany. Here's the links for pets, if you have a problem with
them, go to www.delta.com, look under Travel and Planning, and then
Special Needs in the pull down menu to get to pets. It does mention
ferrets when traveling overseas.

<http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/pet_travel_information/pet_travel_options/index.jsp>

<http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/pet_travel_information/domestic_international_pet/index.jsp>

If you find out you can, basics are one pet per cabin, the carrier has
to fit under the seat - you really have to be sure of that. And there's
a charge for the pet. You won't be able to take your friend to Hawaii
or California either. California maybe ok for a transfer. If you find
you will be able to travel with your ferret in the cabin, I suggest
having a harness on him/her, as you will have to take your friend out
of the carrier while going through the security checkpoints. And
reconfirm your pet reservation one to two days ahead of time. And you
need a Health Certificate done within 10 days of travel, if you are at
your destination longer than that then you will need a new one to come
back.

Here's another good article about traveling with pets by Dr Susan Brown:
http://www.weaselwords.com/page/ferret_art027.php

I hope Delta really didn't mean to say marmots and really meant ferrets
on the page. Please let us know what you find out.

Tracy