Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 12:55:28 -0600
I assume the following was directed at me..( on Apr.5, someone said *for
Liz*: get another ferret for stimulation.)..I don't remember saying that
Fang needed stimulation, so maybe it was for someone else.  Just in case
it was for me:

When I acquired Fang, I was totally ignorant about ferrets.  Didn't even
want him to begin with; I had never seen a ferret, and was sure my Golden
Retriever would step on him instantly.  Fang came home with my son from a
visit with my ex-husband.  It only took three days for our family to know
we would never be without a ferret.  I didn't know that these little guys
have to have a buddy around for stimulation.  I didn't know anyone who even
owned a ferret to talk with!  I didn't know about the FML until Fang was
already four plus yrs.  old.

I have often wondered if your households are more stimulating than mine is
for Fang, but I have to tell you, Fang is rarely alone.  He is free roam
except at night, due to middle of the night kisses on our faces that wake
us up.  He gets so much love and attention from us, that I don't believe he
has been lonely.  When he was younger, my golden would play with him until
they were both worn out.  My husband and son (age 17) both play with him
and love him as much as I do.

I only work part time, so I am home a lot!  When I teach school, I am home
by 3:00.  He goes outside with me when the weather is decent, and is with
me in the house whenever he is awake.  He has everything his little heart
desires.  He is head of the pecking order around here.  Any of us will drop
what we are doing to make sure he has his needs met first.  He doesn't have
to wait to be let out of his cage for *play time*; his play time is anytime
he wants it.  He has mellowed considerably with age and insulinoma, but is
snapping back really well after his surgery and pediapred, and his new love
affair with Chicken Gravy.  Just this morning he went out with me to hang
laundry, and happily romped in the woods right next to my clothesline.
(time of the year to start thinking about woodticks.)

Sometimes, I wish I had another ferret for him, but I really don't believe
he is unhappy.  He has been a single furchild since he was first purchased
by my ex.  It isn't like I took him away from other ferrets and made him
live alone in a cage.  If I worked full time I would have a buddy for him,
but since he is five now, and has insulinoma, I see no need to bring
another ferret into the house.  We also can't afford another one who might
be in need of medical care (more surgeries).  I have spent over $1,000.
this year on Fang alone.  His needs must be taken care of, whatever it
takes, for the rest of his life.  We have decided that when the time comes
to replace our house with ferret feet, we will get two, and bring them up
together.  Right now, for us, having just one baby works.  If Fang was
moping around acting sad or lonely, we would have bought him a little
friend.  (no shelters around here to adopt from, or I would probably have
done it already, just from visiting and feeling sad that they didn't have a
home.) What I think is sad, is a ferret living alone in a cage, with the
owners at work all day.  Or those that never get time out of the cage each
day.  Bob C.  told me that having another ferret would help me through the
pain when I lose little Fang.  I think he is right, and sometimes I think
I should just bite the dust and bring a little one home.  ( I would have
to buy one at the pet store since no shelter with ferrets anywhere near.)
Fang might not LIKE another one to have to share with, but maybe I need to
reconsider.  I have no *for sure* answers about anything, except that Fang
is loved beyond words.

Happy Tails,
Liz Blackburn