From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1992 17:08:41 -0500
Anonymous, please, Chris (as long as I'm illegal on this issue!)

> > I was at a ferret show in Jersey last year, and their materials stated
> > that all ferrets which are entered from NJ must have a NJ license, and
> > that any NJ resident purchasing a ferret must have a license.

(Some deletions here)

> > >So how does one go about stopping the distribution of this
> > >"information" without getting nailed oneself?
> >
> > Not sure I get that - why don't you just get the license?
>
> My ferrets came from NJ - I used to live in NJ. When I bought each of
> them, I was given a license application form with the ferret. When
> this is sent to the state, they send you an application. The
> application (5-6 years ago) was for all ferrets you have, and just
> wanted to know what accomedations you had for the animals (asked you
> to describe dimensions of cages) how many you had, and other stuff
> like that. Pretty harmless, and the fee for the license was low -
> affordable for a college student, even. Just apply and get the darned
> license, it's not a big deal.

I'm sorry, but you've *both* missed the point.  The thing I'm concerned
about is *not* the license itself (though none of my carpet sharks
are legally licensed in NJ).  What I *am* concerned about is the
fact that when you request a license application, NJ sends you the
application *AND* a press release from the state department of
health stating that ferrets do *NOT* make good pets because they
are dangerous to children *AND* they also send a list of so-called
documented ferret attacks.

I was asking for suggestions on how to find out if NJ is *still*
doing this but am loathe to do so myself since I am a fugitive
from justice and have not licensed my ferrets.  The law allows
for stiff fines for those not in compliance!

Chris, I think it might help if I sent you copies of the material I'm
referring to, so they know what I'm referring to.