From:
Kevin Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:00:37 EDT
Hey gang and Dooks !  to all the furkids !!!

It saddened me greatly to hear about the poor kritter that succombed to
the smoke of the fire.  Several years ago I almost lost my dog and kitten
the same way.  The fire was actually in a building attached to my
apartment building.  The roof was just below (1') my bedroom window.  The
firefighters actually ran hoses into my apartment to spray water down into
the seat of the fire.

Everything in my apartment was damaged by the water and thick smoke.  The
carbon was all over the place.  You could see a line from floor level up
1' onto the walls that was NOT smoke stained.  That is how much smoke was
in the apartment.  It was over 2 hours before the fire was under control
and I was allowed in.  The dog had been rescued when firefighters first
arrived, I went in expecting the worst.  As soon as I walked in I felt a
scared kitten clawing it's way up my leg.

Smoke detectors DO help, but only if people hear them and report them to
someone.  In the complex I work at, it's not unusual to hear the detector
outside.  Then myself or another staff member go to check.  The local fire
department sends out letter telling people to change batteries every 6
months.  I regret to say that the batteries we use are lithium batteries
which cost several dollars each.  They have a life of about 10 years.
Most people don't realize this and just replace the battery with the
cheapest one they can.  We also have hardwired units with battery backups.
Check to know what kind you have and how to test it and replace the
battery when it is needed.

Some have posted about squeeky toys driving their kids wild.  I have heard
some mention to get rid of the toys.  My kids also react to squeekies -
but I wouldn't change it.  I use the squeeky to get their attention for
treats, etc.  It brings them out of their hidey holes.  The last time I
burnt some dinner the detector went off.  The kids went wild over the
sound.

I look at this as a blessing in disguise.  If I ever need to vacate
rapidly I know the sound of the smoke detector or squeeky toy will bring
them out of hiding.  For me, that's a good thing !!!!

Warm Fuzzies ~~ !!

Kevin B and the Way Kewl Kritter Crew
~Simon~Lacey~Hershey~Sprite~Cuddles~Java~Miss Priss~Cinna~Racer~Patch~
~Mocha~Nikki~Selene~Missy~Yogi~Skooter~  and Mist the Fer-Kat
Guardian Fur-Angels -
~Furrice~Lady~Zeus~Rascal~Socks~Muttley~Dookesbury~Little Boy~
Missing our friends - Kimo the Sumo Cat (and Honorary Fert) and fellow
ferts ~Petey~, ~Nibbler~, ~Max~, ~Romeo~, ~Bandit~, and the other ~Romeo~
Saying "Hey!" to ~Pandora~, ~Noser~ and the rest of the Tennessee Brat
Pack !!
Please see KITY=^..^=KAT's Fur Faces, Memorial for Zeus
                  http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/2396/zeus.html
KRITTER KREW - http://hometown.aol.com/kwildheart/myhomepage/pet.html

Prayers to the ill and those who have gone before us.  Hug your fuzzies
while you can, hold them in your heart when you can't.