From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 22:26:34 -0400
** Stop ** Take a moment ** Write a note ** Mail a dollar **

I hope this report will inspire you to write encouraging e-mails, send
ferret gifts or supplies, contribute to paying expenses, or purchase coupon
booklets for the emergency fund (see FML #1614).  These are wonderful people
who are working hard for the fuzzies we love.

Amanda Christmas                   Sandia Animal Clinic
   [log in to unmask]            8914 Menaul Boulevard NE
NM Ferret Shelter and Rescue       Albuquerque, New Mexico 87112
2730 Morningside NE
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87110
505-884-5333 or 505-837-2003

Being sponsored:  3                Adopted out:  3

Unpaid vet bills:  $40             Unpaid shelter bills:  $110

Wish List:
more ferrets in shelter, local ferret club, regional ferret show.

I wish we had more ferrets to adopt, so if anyone is traveling near a
shelter that would like to send us ferrets for adoption and is traveling
close to Albuquerque, New Mexico, contact me and maybe we can work out
something.  We have a waiting list of pre-approved adoptive parents but
no ferrets.

Trish Curtis, [log in to unmask]      Dr. Tad Jarrett, DVM
Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter    210 N.W. 2nd Street
3801 Zion Hill Loop               Mineral Wells, TX 76067
Weatherford, TX  76088            817-325-2273

Branch shelter Carlsbad, NM, Eydie Fox, [log in to unmask]

Total ferrets in shelter: 51      Being fostered: 1

Adoptable ferrets: 16             Permanent residents: 12

Being rehabilitated: 3            Sick or injured: 2

Need vaccinations: 7              Need surgery: 1

Being sponsored: 6                Need sponsors: 6

Adopted out: 1                    Taken in: 10

Unpaid vet bills: $110            Unpaid shelter bills: $390

Wish List:   ** Sponsors ** ,  32oz Water Bottles
Pet Porter or Vari-Kennel size: 36"L x 24"W x 26"H

If anyone is interested in information on the fuzzies needing sponsors, I
will be happy to email you their particular stories.  You do not have to
"officially" be a sponsor to help out any fuzzy here at the shelter.  We
deeply appreciate everyone's support, moral, financial, and otherwise!!!

Alicia Drakotes                   Dr. Donna M Harwood, DVM
    [log in to unmask]      Veterinary Housecall Services
Ferret Wise Rescue &              630 Court Street
    Rehabilitation Shelter        Keene, NH  03431
PO Box 561
Marlborough, NH  03455

Ferret Wise Shelter is now a critical care specialized facility.  Donations
to the shelter are tax deductible.

Total ferrets in shelter: 14 in house + 21 in halfway house = 35

Adoptable ferrets:  5            Permanent residents:  22

Being rehabilitated:  4          Sick or injured:         4

Need surgery:  2                 Need vaccinations:  5

Being sponsored: 2               Need sponsors:  2

Being fostered:  1               Taken in this month:  5

Unpaid vet bills:  $220          Unpaid shelter bills: $900

Wish List:  Loving homes for geriatrics, sustical, postage

Troy Lynn Eckert,                 Dr. Larry Snyder
     [log in to unmask]     University Small Animal Clinic
Ferret Family Services            17th and Randolph
P.O. Box 186                        P.O. Box 4135
Manhattan, KS  66505-0186         Topeka, KS  66604
(913) 456-8337                    (913) 233-3185

Welfare ferrets/unadoptable/owners do what they can:  25

Ferrets available for adoption:  2 (ECE exposed)

Medical unadoptable:  3          Behavioral unadoptable:  3

Unpaid vet bills:  $545

Wish list:  1 cc syringes (no needles),  Science Diet A/D

Bev Fox, [log in to unmask]      Dr. Wayne Turner, DVM
North Coast Ferret Shelter        Animal Clinic Northview
32151 Lorain Rd Lot 17            34910 Center Ridge Road
North Ridgeville, OH 44039        North Ridgeville, OH 44039
(216) 327-6729                    (216) 327-8282

Ferrets in shelter: 10            Adoptable ferrets:  8

Permanent residents:  1           Adopted out:  4

Needing surgery:  1

Shelter debts:  $961

Dayna Frazier, [log in to unmask]
Marvelous Menagerie Of Mirthful Mayhem (MOMM)

The Exotic Connection              California Shelter
26502 Golden Valley Road #110-339  Letters and packages should
Saugus, CA  91350                  not have any reference to
                                   to ferrets on outside

Wish list:
35cc Monoject feeder [gavage] syringes needed very badly, colloidal
silver, and orders for ferret stationery to support shelter

Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]   Dr. Mary Chavez, DVM
South Florida Ferret Club          South Kendall Animal Clinic
   and Rescue, Inc                 9501 S.W. 160th Street
P.O. Box 570927                    Miami, FL 33157
Miami, FL 33257-0927               305-238-2030
305-251-8647
305-378-0898 (fax)

Ferrets in shelter:  140     Number available for adoption varies

Wish List:
A/D, Gerbers 2nd stage Chicken or Turkey baby food, paper towels

Carolyn Kinsey, A.S.V.T.          Dr. Bill Wilhoit, DVM
   [log in to unmask]     BIJOU ANIMAL HOSPITAL
Ferret Rescue of the Western      2502 East Bijou
   States (Estab. 1991)           Colorado Springs, CO 80909
140 W. 29th St., Suite 191        (719)471-4457
Pueblo, CO 81008
(719)527-8004

Ferrets in Shelter: 22             Ferrets being sponsored:  0

Wish list: 1cc (tuberculin) syringes and needles 25 gauge/smaller

Sounds like we are all in the same boat!  I'm holding down two full time
night jobs, dealing with the usual ferret problems (two probable complicated
tumors), helping out the Humane Society with an injured cat (died after 4
days of intensive care), coping with a broken water heater and bashing in
the front of my car the same day ... guess that's enough!!!

Our vet bill has climbed to $1200 and I've just cancelled two dental
appointments in order to add 6 additional work days to my schedule so that I
can make larger payments to the vet.  Although we don't go often, I can see
at least one surgery looming.  So, need I say, we can use all the help we
can get.  We got a wonderful donation of cash and supplies from Ferrets of
Freedom.  We gave private thanks, but they do deserve a huge public vote of
gratitude.  I wonder if ferret owners out there realize how much shelters do
for ferrets in general and for the private ferret owner in particular?
Hardly a day goes by that we do not assist the individual owner with
information and, often, financial assistance to give life to a ferret that
would be gone without that financial boost?  We never say "no"; we just
don't know how.

Shelley Knudsen, [log in to unmask]   Dr. Polly Lewis
Legion of Superferrets of            Hastings Animal Clinic
   Nebraska Ferret Shelter           2905 W. Hwy 6
614 N. Bellevue Avenue               Hastings, NE  68901
Hastings, NE  68901                  402-463-9805
402-463-0190                         800-742-2697

Ferrets in shelter:  20             Adoptable ferrets:  1

Permanent residents: 15             Being rehabilitated: 2

Sick or injured: 4                  Ferret deaths: 2

Adopted out: 5                      Taken in: 9

Unpaid vet bills: $128

Wish List:
Someone willing to donate the time (2-6 hrs) and the gas to pick up
ferrets turned into the shelter from out of town locations;
someone willing to come over and play with the fuzzies and or help
clean cages.

Lisa Leidig, [log in to unmask]   Dr. P. Fisher/Dr. H. Hulls
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater        Petcare Veterinary Hospital
2312 Starfish Road, #301          5201-A Virginia Beach Boulevard
Virginia Beach, VA 23451          Virginia Beach, VA 23462

Total ferrets in shelter:  12     Adoptable ferrets:  3

Permanent residents:  5           Unpaid vet bills:  $600

Unpaid shelter bills:  each home with permanents/adoptables pays for
                       food, litter, etc - rescue pays all medical.
Wish List:
Needles( 22, 25, 28 gauge), ferret cage accessories like bowls,
water bottles & litter boxes, and, of course, food.

Karen Marsh-Lovvorn              Dr. Stephanie Dalyrmple, DVM
    [log in to unmask]               (shots/check-ups)
Rogues Gallery Ferret Rescue     Dr. Charles Ward, DVM
700 Whitby Court                     (diagnostics/advanced care)
Durham, NC 27703

Rogues' Gallery is still closed till this Fall, but we've been taking in a
few emergency cases!  Here's the info.

Total ferrets in shelter:  4     Adoptable ferrets:  4

Permanent residents: 6          Need spay/neuter: 2

Need vaccinations: 2            Need foster homes:  4

Adopted out:  None in May, 2 in April, 2 in March

Wish List:
Nothing right now; will need a lot of stuff when we reopen this Fall.

Rogues Gallery continues to be temporarily closed.  Our house is up for
sale, and as soon as it is sold we will begin construction on a larger
home.  Until the "big move", we act as an information & referral service,
and take in emergency cases (including animals from local shelters
which will release them to us).  Most ferrets remain in their current
owners homes unless there are extenuating circumstances & they need
to be removed/placed immediately.  In that case, we will take them and
put them into foster care.  At the present time, people seeking new
homes for their ferrets and people seeking ferrets are put on a referral
list and we put them in contact with each other.

Christine & David Mathis         Kimber Brawley, DVM MS
[log in to unmask]              Companion Pet Clinic
Oregon Ferret Shelter            3150 NE 82nd Avenue
17560 S Holly Lane               Portland, Oregon  97220
Oregon City, Oregon  97045       503-252-1601
503-557-8369

Ferrets in shelter:  85          Adoptable ferrets:  20

Permanent residents:  40         Being rehabilitated:  2

Sick or injured:  6              Need spay/neuter:  20

Need surgery:  4                 Ferret deaths:  1

Being sponsored:  5              Need sponsors:  3

Being fostered:  1

Adopted out:  10                 Taken in:  8

Wish List:
food sponsorship from good quality catfood or ferret food company,
high back potty boxes (marshall farms style),
syringes for feeding sick ferrets (20cc or larger)

Chere McCoy, [log in to unmask]      Dr. Brenda Ernest, DVM
Ferret Friends of                Westside Animal Hospital
  Indian River County            1795 10th Avenue
8775 20th Street, Lot 614        Vero Beach, FL  32960
Vero Beach, Fl 32966

Ferrets in shelter:  12          Incoming ferrets:  1

Cancer or Insulinoma:  5         Blind ferrets:  1

Deaf ferrets:  1                 Outstanding Vet bills:  $404

Wish List:  Nutrical/Ferretvite, Totally Ferret/Iams Kitten

Stephanie Mudgett,                Dr. Steven Caffrey, DVM
    [log in to unmask]          Fryeburg Veterinary Hosp, PA
Ferret Services of Freedom        5 Pine Street
RR 1, Box 1592                    Fryeburg, ME   04037
Freedom, New Hampshire  03836

Total ferrets in shelter:  10     Adoptable ferrets:  3

Sick or injured:  7               Needing vaccinations: 3

Wish List:  Nutrical, Ferretone, Laxaire

Julianna Quadrozzi, ferretdiva@mind
GA Domestic Ferret Association

Ferrets in shelter:  24

Fostered ferrets include:
4 sets, each with 1 old-timer and 1 younger fuzzy,
a few biters we're working with,
and a few that must be an only child.

Judith Sanders, [log in to unmask]

Hi, everyone...
The Sanders Ferret Halfway House is no longer able to take in ferrets.  We
are getting ready to move to VA, and I don't know when I'll be able to
resume rescues - I suspect folks desperate to dump their ferrets will find
me, sooner rather than later.

Recently I have received several separate e-mails about bringing ferrets
into California.  Because my name has been published in a variety of items
about the AFA, I suspect that some misguided "health" official is trying to
trip me up.  How dumb do they think I am?  I would never recommend that
anyone break the law, no matter how stupid it is.

Megan & Mike Scott                 Dr. Zeitlin, DVM
[log in to unmask]                    VCA Lake Worth
Ferrets in the Sun Club & Rescue   3401 2nd Ave. N.
18F Crossings Circle               Lake Worth, FL 33461
Boynton Beach, FL
561-735-7879

Total ferrets in shelter:  9       Adoptable ferrets:   3

Permanent residents:  2            Being rehabilitated:   2

Sick or injured:  2  (both adrenal problems)

Ferrets needing surgery:  1 exploratory (adrenal)

Ferrets needing sponsors:  Izzy (malignant-adrenal/insulomnia)
                           Skeeter (adrenal)

Ferrets taken in this month:  2

Unpaid vet bills:   $325            Unpaid shelter bills:   $700

Wish List:  Wysong or Nutro Natural Kitten food, decent sized Cages and
accessories (heavy crock bowls, hammocks,  bedding, etc.).

Ferrets in the Sun has been in operation for about 9 months and is
growing faster than we expected.  Thank goodness my vet doesn't mind
dealing with me so much :).  I am looking for an accountant or attorney
familiar with FL state non-profit laws to help us set up as a 501(c)3.
I have run into many brick walls in my area without this status.
Thank you for your time...

Stephanie Sheme                    Dr. Joseph Bock, DVM
  [log in to unmask]               Adobe Animal Hospital
Ferrets Etc                        4660 Table Mesa Drive
4339 S. Galapago St.               Boulder, Colorado
Englewood, CO 80110                (303) 494-4344

Ferrets in shelter:  22            Adoptable ferrets:  8

Permanent residents:  4            Being rehabilitated:  4

Sick or injured:  2                Need spay/neuter:  2 males

Need surgery:  2                   Ferret deaths:  1

Need sponsors:  yes, lots!  please contact me to sponsor a ferret!

Adopted out:  12                   Taken in:  32

Unpaid vet bills: $200.00          Unpaid shelter bills:  $625.00

Wish List:  Proplan food, litter and more proplan food

Sheena Staples, [log in to unmask]
PO Box #3
4607 Kingsway
Burnaby, B.C.
V5H 2B3
pager number 1-604-601-4883

Total ferrets in shelter: 5         Adoptable ferrets: 5

Ferret Deaths:  1                   Sick or injured ferrets: 1

Needing spay/neuter: 3              Needing vaccinations: 3

Permanent residents:  1             Being fostered: 1

Unpaid shelter bills:  $600

Wish List:
Nothing really.  We seem to be doing okay.  Lumber would be wonderful as we
are building a ferretry (an addition ot our home) but since that's sort of
difficult to send through the mail ... <grin> We would like to thank Muriel
Marshall, Calvin White, Richard and Sharron Beveridge and Danny and Linda
Ralph for their donation of food and supplies to our shelter though ... came
at a much needed time :-)

Tracy Tunnison, [log in to unmask]
Mid-Michigan Ferrets and Rescue  (GLFA Shelter)
P.O. Box 156
Sidney, MI 48885

*** Adoptive Parents Needed Quickly ***

I have had to move recently and due to that move can no longer breed
ferrets.  For this reason, I must sell ASAP all of my ferrets, shelter or
not.  I have at the moment approximately 50 ferrets that need homes.  The
major problem is that several were in bite rehab, and without me there to
work with them daily, they have regressed.  I do have many that are already
neutered, and many more that I would neuter before placing.  I also have
some that I will only sell as breeders due to their excellent bloodlines and
outstanding temperaments and conformation.  Breeders, however, will ONLY be
sold to those with experience, so please, no first time breeders.  Placement
fees are ranging anywhere from $25 to $200.  If you know of anyone loooking
for a ferret in the Michigan area or willing to pay shipping costs (which I
prefer not to do, but will for an outstanding home), please send them my
way.  You can reach me through e-mail (best option) or by snail mail.

Please, it is not fair that my babies are not getting the time out they
need.  My ex is caring for them (with frequent visits by me) but he does not
allow them any play time nor handle them at all.  I can have ferrets where I
am staying and do have some with me, but I cannot have whole hobs here nor
that many ferrets.

Thank you for your time.

Mark Zmyewski, [log in to unmask]
Cloud Nine Ferrets
P.O. Box 4271
Huntsville, AL  35815
Heath Niehaus (205) 885-0105
Donna Tarbell (205) 885-0105
Mark Zmyewski (205) 536-6348

Cloud Nine currently has two females for adoption, both approximately 7
months of age.  Both of them have been known to bite, but we are working
with them.  Experienced adoptive parents needed who understand the ways of
fuzzies.

Wish List:  One large cage, 20-pound bag of Totally Ferret
            "Biology and Diseases of the Ferret", by James Fox,
             or any more recent book similar to this.