From:
Katie Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 1992 14:10:16 -0400
Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of ferret traffic
going on right now, so here's my contribution:

Bandit update:
Our liver cancer patient Bandit is now up to 2 lbs, 2 oz,
his liver is no longer swollen, his fur is growing back &
Dr. Jeglum says she thinks he's going into remission!!
She wants us to continue with the chemo through the end
of the six 5-week cycles before reevaluating his treatment.
He's going for treatment 4 of cycle 2 tomorrow.

We are still giving him prednisone with nutrical daily, but are
now giving him 2 mg pred with nutrical at night rather
than 1 mg with nutrical in the morning & again at night.
The reason is that he's feeling so frisky these days,
we are having a very hard time getting him to hold still
long enough to take 2 treatments.  He's taken to grabbing
the spoon with his teeth & trying to pull it out of our
hands -- quite cute, actually, although if we let him
take it, he will drop it in a corner, take one lick & leave
it there.

We're also trying to re-teach him some manners (!) --
he has gotten quite spoiled since this all started at the
end of January & he started getting special treatment.
He's gotten pretty bad about using the litterbox & thinks
he can climb the pet gate (named Marvin :-) into the kitchen
with impunity.  Part of the problem is that he expects to
get grapes (his favorite treat) whenever he wants, and not
just as a reward for taking his medicine.

Oh, well, we are still happier to have a spoiled Bandit
than no Bandit at all.

Katie, Jeff, Bandit, Molly, Charlie & Pogo (who seems determined
                                        to live up to his name!)