From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 23:57:34 -0500
    It MUST be official now as the Legislative WEB site at:

      (Http://www.magnet.state.ma.us/legis/ltsform.htm)

now has the bill on the Gov's 'desk' as of 11/27.  From what I can gather
the people in his office are favorably impressed by the calls that they have
been receiving from us and are now doing 'their thing' in talking to
interested parties and putting together a recommendation for the Governor.
Perhaps a few good words for him to say about ferrets as well, but we can
only hope.

    It is very important that those of us in Mass keep making friendly calls
of inquiry in support of this bill.  A short letter summarizing your
experience or telling an interesting story might also be helpful.  Letters
or calls from out of state are of course also welcomed, but don't
misrepresent yourself or say that you are calling from where your are not.
It is not a good idea in principle, and there is just too much 'Caller ID'
around anyway, you never know who has it.

    You can probably assume that the Governor knows little or nothing about
ferrets, but that his curiosity has been piqued and that what you say and
how you say it, could have a lot to do with his position on the bill.  He is
no dummy (Cum Laude from Harvard Law, Assoc Minority Counsel on the
Watergate Hearings, former U.S.  Attorney for Mass, Former Assistant
Attorney General, will probably announce his candidacy for U.S.  Senate
soon), and neither are the people around him.

    Also be up front, you don't have to admit to owning ferrets (I did, and
was asked if I would like the staff to 'register their feelings as well'
<chuckles all around>), but it would probably be helpful to leave your name,
town, and also your phone number if asked, (I wasn't).  If you have had a
bad experience, such as having an animal taken or being unable to find a
vet, be sure and relate that.  I think that you will find Gov Weld's people
to be sympathetic listeners.  Very busy, but sympathetic.

    Sharon has discovered that the MSPCA has sent a letter to the Governor
stating their objections to the bill.  Don't know if it has been made public
yet (No one I know has seen it), but in their 'Position Statement' filled in
support of the unamended bill back in March they made the following points:

    1.  The bill represents a consensus among Animal Protection
Organizations, the research community, and the Mass Division of Fisheries
and Wildlife.

    2.  Fisheries and Wildlife estimates between three and five thousand
ferrets in the state and the number is growing.

    3.  It is vitally important that ferret owners have their animals
vaccinated against rabies.

    That's it !!!

    Keep up the good work everyone.  We are almost there; from the WEB site
just look how far we have come: