From:
Jeanette Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 1995 00:53:19 EDT
Well, I just wanted to let every one know how Pooper's doing since I
wrote in about his "presumptive cancer" diagnosis.

Last Thursday, May 4, Pooper was operated on to remove a sizeable adrenal
tumor.  Dr.  Chas.  Weiss from Potomac came highly recommended, so that's
who performed the surgery.  Aside from the stitches (which bother me more
than they bother Pooper), Pooper's active as all getout & is doing MUCH
better.

It seems a few of you loyal readers had comments about whether I should
have gotten a biopsy first or not.  I didn't for a couple of reasons:

1) the original doctor who was treating Pooper said that in order to do
the biopsy she would need an ultrasound machine - which her office did
not have on site - so the procedure would cost around $300-$400 - that's
on top of surgery, IF it was required.  Being that I'm not related to the
Rockefellers or the Vanderbilts, that was a major deciding factor.

2) Everyone I spoke to, other doctors included, said the same thing:
biopsies often don't reveal any more than an X-ray - in other words, even
after the biopsy, you still may not know the whole story.  Another
deciding factor.

3) I decided that the best way to find out would be exploratory surgery -
this way once he's opened up, if anything's there, it will be removed
right then & there - biopsy & removal in one fell swoop - & a heck of a
lot less $$ all around.

I realize you always take a chance with things like this, but it just
seemed logical to me to forego the biospy & just get on with the treatment,
especially since two blood tests (one from the first doctor & another from
Dr.  Weiss) leaned heavily toward an adrenal tumor.  (Incidentally, I had
Dr.  Weiss do a 2nd set of X-rays to compare with the first set from the
first doctor).

Believe me, I took all the precautions I could before I let Pooper get one
cut, & now that he's doing so well, I don't regret any of it.  I thank Dr.
Weiss for his great treatment & wonderful bedside manner with Pooper &
thanks to everyone for all their concern.