From:
beverley redden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2009 01:31:35 +0000
Hi I work ferrets and while I agree if mice are the prey a ferret may
kill and stash and kill and stash untill there is no more to stash why?
simply a mouse is a snack not a main meal and they need to ensure
there is always food available

I have kept ferrets for 42 years ( I work breed show and judge them )
mine are all raw meat/ whole prey fed when out working my ferrets
for rabbit ( rabbits are a pest in england ) i give them a light meal
of scrambled egg prior to working why? simple if they get a kill
underground and are hungry they will stay with this kill and eat there
fill and then fall asleep ( which results in me locating it they all
wear radio transmitters and digging it out along with a partialy eaten
rabbit ) when a ferret goes to work without feeling hungry it simply
chases the rabbits out of the warren into waiting nets they are then
humainly dispatched by me to feed the ferrets on arrival home

in all the years I have worked ferrets I have only known one ferret who
made it his goal to kill and move on kill and move on and he was an
exception maybe he liked to see how many he could kill only he knew
that but he always stayed with it long enough for me to mark the spot
and dig down and retrieve it and he was rewarded on his return home

take care bye for now
crazy lady