From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 01:37:12 -0500
Hi FML -
Gavin - An 8 week old kit should be on his feet and running everywhere and
leaping about.  BTW, 8 weeks is a bit on the young side to go to a new home -
not bad, but a few weeks older would be better age for new home.  Kits at
8 weeks are frequently still nursing a bit!

Anyway, by the time you read this, if your kit has not gained his feet and
is running around, I would return him to the breeder or get him to a vet for
a check-up.  When kits are first out and investigating a room or new
surroundings, they will sometimes "crawl" around, usually with their tail
brushed as well as coat standing on end - this is normal.  After
investigating they will gradually gain more confidence and .....away they
go!  Does your kit gain his legs and move normally in his cage?  If he does,
then he may just be extremely cautious.  But, I don't like the sound of
this.  Let us know how things work out.

Deana - A couple of things occur to me as to what is going on with your 2-1/2
year old boy.  The on and off again irritation could be related to the type
of litter you are using - try a change and see if this helps.  Other
possibility is that since redness and irritation is confined to tissue
surrounding the penis - might also be an allergic reaction to whatever he is
rubbing himself clean on after he eliminates.  Carpet? Bedding?  Usually
ferrets will rub themselves on something immediately to clean and dry
themselves. Could possibly be related to the material, or any detergents,
fabric softners (if bedding) or shampoos, etc. (if carpeting).  Your vet has
prescribed an ointment that should take care of  several things - he now
might want to take a small skin scraping for further diagnosis.  One thing I
would suggest you try is  cortizone ointment or cream on the affected area
for a few days to see if this helps clear the condition (with vet's
approval).  If it does, then probabably a contact dermatitis of some type
(allergic reaction.  Let us know how he does.

Jennifer - Your biggest clue as to what is causing Gordi's skin condition
problems is your comment that he is wet a lot and likes to take showers with
everyone.  Anyone have atheletes foot?  Warm & wet - could set up for
several fungal infections.  Would go back to your vet, may need culture and
probablly your ferret will need internal as well as external medication.
Think you should also forgoe the shower frolics for a while - poor Gordi -
let us know how he does.

Ed - Violent and repeated sneezing in a ferret is not too uncommon,
especially if they get a good snoot full of dust or some other irritant.
You mentioned the room was a bit dusty and if she was investigating behind
something - may have "snorted" a dust bunny.  Also, if she was investigating
the litter, and it is a gravel type (you did not mention what kind) this may
have set off a sneeze atttack.  Ferrets do sneeze repeatedly sometimes.  -
this hard sneezing helps clear the nasal passages.  If she has not repeated
violent sneezing since you posted - she is probably o.k.  and nothing to
worry about.  Also, if she is still doing it - could have a cold or coming
down with flu!  A cold/flu is everywhere right now, and ferrets are
literally sneezing their heads off - and sneezing attacks like you witnessed
can sometimes be scary.  If she is showing cold symptoms by the time you
read this - make sure she gets plenty of fluids, keeps eating, keep her
warm; and if she runs a temp should see a vet promptly as she may need an
antibiotic.  On the other hand, if attack has not repeated - or she has done
it again after investigating something dusty - probably nothing too much to
worry about, unless it continues, and again - see vet.  As I write these
words, ironically, one of my ferrets just had a sneezing-fit!  She sneezed
about 10 times, but we have had that cold/flu thing.  Big sigh.

Eden - Gas and bloat in your boys - Have you recently changed their food or
added something to their diet?  Sudden food changes can cause this.  Also,
you might want to check their food to make sure it is fresh - sometimes you
can get a "bad bag".  Have you been giving them a new type of snack or lots
of raisins?  This may take some investigation to find the cause (think it
might be food related since all three are affected at the same time) - but
would not wait too long.  If you do not identfiy the problem or it does not
quickly clear up, a vet trip is in order.  In the meantime, try just a
small-bitty piece of a pepto bismol tablet twice a day and see if this helps.

FYI - Just had a call today regarding a ferret that had suddenly stopped
eating, but was drinking and otherwise appeared totally normal.  The ferret
was pulling some pieces of food from hiding places and eating that.  On
quiry, a new bag of the food she was fed had just been purchased.  Suggested
buying another bag, food might be bad.  Receivec call back tonight.  The
ferret is eating the newly purchased food - and the other bag was spoiled.
Reminder for us all - always inspect new food bags to make sure they are
sealed and no tears; and on opening, check the smell and texture to make
sure it is same as before.

Julie - Funny story on the pooper-scooper-steak-flipper!

Susan - Your 10 week old ferret with letter tattoo in ear - does it look
like a Y or X or T?  Pretty sure you have a Canadian import there - probably
from Manitoba.  Bossy and 10 weeks?  You haven't seen anything yet - just
wait!  Some of the funniest and smartest and worst devils I am owned by are
from Canada.  He is going to give you a run for your money and you will love
him to distraction!

Laura - Please go and get that ferret and save her.  Yes, she can taught
with love not to be a biter!  So glad you are caring enough to want her.
Please call me if you can - 703-765-4353 - and I will help you work with the
biting probelm.  There are many on these pages who have worked with biting
ferrets who can help.  Anyone who rescues has dealt with bad biting ferrets -
usually from mistreatment, fear of people, abuse and so on, and some are
such vicious biters that we all have scars!  But these ferrets are worth
fighting for and turn in to loving ferrets with care and attention.  And it
sounds like this little girl is biting from fear.  Help her.  I know you
will get a lot of responses on this one!

Cheers to all - Meg