From:
Laura Holtfreter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 00:56:15 +0000
Hello Friends,

I have a question and was hoping to get help from you guys.  I along
with other members of my group are going to be helping an area shelter
by fostering ferrets here in out city.  The questions we have are

1. What type of questions should we ask the "adopting" family?

2. Is there a proper form to have them "fill out" to make sure they
   qualify.

I had an experience this week with a lady who wanted one of my ferrets
for her child for Easter.  I had no intentions of adopting out my rescued
3 because their brother died of Lymphoma within a week of our care.  I
didn't know if the other 3 were "sick".  They go to the vet tomorrow.
She had no clue as how to care for a ferret.  To make this short, she
thought she could "cage" it in an aquarium.  She didn't have the money to
buy a baby so she thought she could have one of mine.  I don't even know
the proper age of them.  Lets just say that the conversation between her
and I, I red flagged her in an instant.  I didn't know exactly what to
ask her.  I still don't know what to ask other potential adopters.  I
have an adoption form for when I adopted my puppy, I will be looking at
that.  Just wondered if anyone else had any input.  One of the other
members in our group wants to know:

What is our right to re-gain custody of the adopted ferret if we feel it
is not being properly cared for?

She said that when she adopted her fuzzy, the adoption form stated
something along the line that the "agency" will check up on her to make
sure the ferret is properly cared for (vet care, proper diet, proper in
home care...etc.)and if they find any problems, they would take the
ferret back.

I really appreciate you all taking the time out to help us.  Re: the
copyright laws...may we use your questions on our adoption form?  Thought
I might as well get your permission, and get it out of the way.LOL;)

Thank you in advance.

--
Laura Holtfreter