From:
Sharon Pease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:13:48 EDT
Hi everyone!
This will probably seem somewhat odd and isn't a situation I'd ever though
I'd have to deal with.  The problem is too much education, if there could
actually be such a thing.

I run a ferret shelter and like most shelters, I like to do everything
possible to ensure that the ferrets I adopt out are going to the best
possible homes.  We do our best to "get the word out" in our area that we
are here and have very loving ferrets in need of good homes.

People looking to adopt usually find us on the internet, through their
vet's office, local pet store, or through word of mouth.  The word of mouth
is where the problem may be.

Up until recently if someone was looking for a ferret shelter they were
just given our number and they would call us and go through our adoption
process.  I'd be able to speak with them and get a feel for what knowledge
or experience they might have had.

Now there is a new "helper" in our area who will refer adopters to us but
only after they have "educated" them.  Silly as this may sound, this has
become a problem for me.  For example; If they've had ferrets in the past
and haven't provided proper care for them.  Normally this discussion would
be with me and I'd know from them the extent of the improper care.  Was it
just a lack of information about proper nutrition?  or did they euthanize
because suddenly the ferret went bald and they thought it was some strange
disease?  Now I get a probable adopter who seems to just tell me what they
think I want to hear.  They've been, well, re-programmed, if you will.  The
answers I get aren't their answers, but someone else's.

I rely heavily on my instincts when I do adoptions.  If someone tells me
that they kept their last ferret on cedar shavings and I correct them, I
like to see how well received this correction is.  Do they really seem to
understand that this shouldn't be done and why?  or are they nodding their
head at me while their eyes go blank and squinty with what they perceive as
a criticism?  Are they saying "that's good to know" while their eyes are
saying "butt out"?  Education is one of the best things we can do for the
ferrets.  I'm beginning to feel that it may not be the best thing we can do
for the ferret shelter.  I'm not sure what the solution may be or if there
is one.  I do not want to discourage education in any shape or form but I
find myself not wanting to adopt because of the interaction with these
people that I've been denied.  An interaction that I feel is a crucial
part of the adoption process.

I've considered discussing my concerns with the new "helper" but have found
from past experience that any dissension or perceived disagreement toward
their beliefs or practices isn't well tolerated.  Especially if those
practices or beliefs were initiated by their "founder."

Well, anyhow, thank you all for listening.  I'd like to ask that any
comments on this post be copied to my private e-mail in addition to being
sent to the list.  I'm afraid the busy life of the shelter (not to mention
my full time job) leave me little time.  A direct message will be read
more quickly than the list.  No offense BIG :)~

Take care!
Sharon