From:
"D.A.Steele" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 1996 15:28:53 -0700
I wrote an email response to the person who has the ferret with the possible
intestinal blockage.  I just don't understand the amount of letters received
by the Ferret Digest indicating lack of proper ferret care.  Letting a
medical condition such as this one go should be likened to animal cruelty.
Is it because ferrets aren't able to vocalize pain in a way humans recognize
as being urgent?  Ferrets need and deserve proper medical attention.  If you
can't afford to give a pet the necessary medical care - find someone who
can.  It's better to give a pet away than to not be able to attend to it
properly.  If you can only take care of one ferret only have one - not five
or ten.  It is so unfair to an animal to let it suffer.  We must realize
that ferrets are usually not very verbal and even if they are in quite a bit
of pain - they might only exhibit signs of that pain by tiredness and not
eating.  It is up to us to take care of these little blessings from God.
Don't let the joy of your life suffer - always choose the best solution to a
situtation - for them and not you.  They are basically helpless and deserve
to live as protected a life as possible.

Don't wait  -  get medical care right away!